300tdi engine number

Hi All,

My 1997 110 Defender had a replacement 300tdi engine from Turners Engineering after about 50,000miles (It was originally owned by Northern Electricity who blew the original engine up). Given that many parts are engine number related rather than VIN related I figured I'd best take note of my engine number. I *thought* from wikipedia that 300tdi numbers began 16L or 23L however mine is 21LU2613R. Is the 21L a different "type" of 300tdi engine????? Is there any useful info that can be learned from this number much like reference sites for VIN numbers?

Cheers

Ziggy

extracted from my Microcat LR parts info -- 300Tdi engine prefix

16L 1995 model year Defender

17L Discovery &/or RRC EDC Manual

18L ----------------------------- EDC Manual/DeToxed

19L ----------------------------- EDC Auto

20L ----------------------------- EDC Auto DeToxed

21L ----------------------------- EGR Manual

22L------------------------------- EGR Auto

23L Defender EGR.

But if as you say it was a replacement engine from turners all the ancillaries will be off the original engine (which was probably a 16L) so you will have a bit of both. For example despite 21L being an EDC engine which would have an EDC injection pump you will most likely have a mechanical injection pump. So a bit of thought will still need to be applied when ordering parts and you can't blindly trust the engine numbering. Sorry if that was already obvious to you and I am teaching you to suck eggs. :)

Thanks!

I had been thinking about what may be 16L from the original. The EGR has been blanked off so I needn't worry about parts for that. Its certainly not EDC - I'm guesssing its the original injector pump. I can see disconnected connectors that must have been part of the EGR (one near the injector pump and one close to where the EGR valve would have been)

• 3 weeks later...

Just an add on question. OK the 21L prefix gives me the the vehicle type that engine was originally fitted. Is there any way from the rest of the serial number to work out the year/age of the engine. I.e I have a rebuilt 21L discovery from Turners in mine, but from what year Discovery did this engine come from?

Cheers Ralph.....I'm gonna investigate, See if LR will detail all of my numbers. Do you think they'd obligue if I gave them my special vehicles # and ask what that entailed? Why am I asking you?????? (Probably because I'll get more sensible answers answers from you)

Pastys n Lafrowda

extracted from my Microcat LR parts info -- 300Tdi engine prefix

16L 1995 model year Defender

17L Discovery &/or RRC EDC Manual

18L ----------------------------- EDC Manual/DeToxed

19L ----------------------------- EDC Auto

20L ----------------------------- EDC Auto DeToxed

21L ----------------------------- EGR Manual

22L------------------------------- EGR Auto

23L Defender EGR.

My 1995 Defender was made in South Africa (with imported components of course) and has a 21L prefix and no EGR. I reckon they just selected any old engines for export.

My 1995 Defender was made in South Africa (with imported components of course) and has a 21L prefix and no EGR. I reckon they just selected any old engines for export.

I reckon your probably right.......I guess aside form EDC and EGR both of which are mainly external to the main engine are the only differnces........there all 300tdis I guess at the end of the day. Although this is probably where one of the firum legends jumps in a points out that there were mods/improvements in the block or something or other.

Did you have the 95 from new and are certain its the original engine????