TD5 Speedo Mileage run up circuit

Having changed a couple of speedos now we have a couple of other hex dumps, I've attached a picture if any one is interested. There are three MPH speedo dumps and one KPH speedo dump.

post-25689-0-25262800-1311069621_thumb.jpg

Also while opening the speedos up I notice some have bulbs for background lighting and one has had LEDs. I've attached some pictures of the LEDs, are these standard items or are they aftermarket?

post-25689-0-51966200-1311067842_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-89038100-1311067853_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-61149600-1311067864_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-59836100-1311067876_thumb.jpg

With the benefit of some insider knowledge, I can tell you that the LEDs are these.

And, in the dark, very nice they look too!

Nick.

Well spotted Nick :) It was of course your speedo they were in so I should have just asked you!

It seemed quite a coincidence as MickeyW and myself had only just been discussing using LEDs instead of bulbs the night before, then of course yours turned up with some in and I assumed (incorrectly) that maybe some of the speedos has left the factory with LED backlighting.

Anyway they are winging their way back to you now fitted snuggly back in the speedo :)

EDIT: I just noticed the price (pack of 10) and they are cheaper than bulbs at my local car parts shop!

• 8 months later...

Hi I have just completed the Dash conversion on my CSW. I have a couple of problems still to sort out.

1- Temp Gauge reads to low, just top of the cold line. Did fit the correct sender as instructed on retroanaconda, thought it may be faulty so have replaced it with another. Still same result. I have connected a an electrical feed direct from sender to back of speedo with no difference to gauge. About to change thermostat!

2- Speedo reads double the actual speed I'm doing. I know that this is a result of the transducer. The one I fitted AMR1425 came out of Discovery T/box prob reason it sends double amount of pulses. Thought of buying correct one for Defender Speedo but don't really want to part with another £30 and AMR1425 only has 2 pins therefore I only got to wires going down to it. So I would have to add the 3rd. Thought it may be option to alter programing of speedo?

3- My speedo's odo is at 120800M but would like it to read actaul vehicle mileage of 142400M. Was wondering if Wabbit would be willing to clock it?

At my expense of course!

Hi I have just completed the Dash conversion on my CSW. I have a couple of problems still to sort out.

1- Temp Gauge reads to low, just top of the cold line. Did fit the correct sender as instructed on retroanaconda, thought it may be faulty so have replaced it with another. Still same result. I have connected a an electrical feed direct from sender to back of speedo with no difference to gauge. About to change thermostat!

2- Speedo reads double the actual speed I'm doing. I know that this is a result of the transducer. The one I fitted AMR1425 came out of Discovery T/box prob reason it sends double amount of pulses. Thought of buying correct one for Defender Speedo but don't really want to part with another £30 and AMR1425 only has 2 pins therefore I only got to wires going down to it. So I would have to add the 3rd. Thought it may be option to alter programing of speedo?

3- My speedo's odo is at 120800M but would like it to read actaul vehicle mileage of 142400M. Was wondering if Wabbit would be willing to clock it?

At my expense of course!

1. Not sure re. the sender. Did you buy a genuine parts temperature sender? Double-checked wiring OK? Does the gauge read full hot if you ground the wire at the sender?

2. I suspect you mean AMR1253 rather than AMR1425 (which as Ralph correctly points out above refers to the temp. sender)? But you are correct, the Disco sender will cause it to over-read. Either fit correct Defender sender as above, or if you can double the pulses-per-mile figure in the speedo head then that will halve the displayed speed :)

3. Send CwazyWabbit a PM and I'm sure he will be able to help you out with your mileage correction, as well as perhaps altering the pulses-per-mile figure as above.

Hi All

Thats correct AMR1253, my mistake.

1- The sender was corret. The second one I bought was Bearmach one. I have fitted the new thermostat and the gauge reads halfway. Strange I can't recall the old gauge ever reading low. But do recall that during winter the heater didn't get as warm as in the past. I thought the heater matrix needed to be bleed. :)

2/3- I have spoken to CwazyWabbit and he is willing to adjust the mileage and pluses, which is great! :)

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread but wanted to ask about this. The video showed the needle at abut 120mph but you said the odometer was reading at 1110mph. That's not a typo is it?

I am doing the same thing on an aftermarket VDO (for a defender 90) with 120 mph gauge and it lets me pulse it up to about 130mph max otherwise just doesn't move. I assume it's to protect the needle or something. At this speed it's going to take 45 days to get to my desired 125K miles so was hoping to make it go faster. I know this thread is on the oem td5 speedo, but has anyone managed to make an aftermarket vdo accept a faster pulse than the gauge allows?

Thanks,

charles

Anyway its now roughly moving at 1110mph.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but wanted to ask about this. The video showed the needle at abut 120mph but you said the odometer was reading at 1110mph. That's not a typo is it?

I am doing the same thing on an aftermarket VDO (for a defender 90) with 120 mph gauge and it lets me pulse it up to about 130mph max otherwise just doesn't move. I assume it's to protect the needle or something. At this speed it's going to take 45 days to get to my desired 125K miles so was hoping to make it go faster. I know this thread is on the oem td5 speedo, but has anyone managed to make an aftermarket vdo accept a faster pulse than the gauge allows?

Thanks,

charles

1110mph is not a typo, I haven't played with the aftermarket VDO guage just the TD5 VDO/factory ones.

The bit below explains what happens if you pulse a TD5 speedo too fast, have tried a number of them and the max pulse rate they will accept tends to vary between each example.

I have clocked the input on this speedo at approx 1.6khz with no adverse affects observed, mileage increased at approximately 25 miles per minute. Any greater frequency and the speedo fails to register a signal. Even so that is about 1500MPH which means you could add 50 000 miles to a speedo in about a day and a half, using a microcontroller You could automate the stop time so you don't overshoot.

• 1 year later...

If anyone fancies reprogramming their own speedo this programmer looks like it would do the job, and it's cheap at 13 quid delivered from the far east. I've not tried it myself but it does list the memory chip we need to program in it's compatibility list.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EZP-High-Speed-USB-Programmer-SPI-25-flash-bios-chip-Support-24-25-93-EEPROM-/161266969876

You'll still have some small-ish scale soldering to do.

• 1 month later...

Hi CwazyWabbit, et al

Firstly, just spent my morning reading up. Well done on all the work!

I was just wondering if we ever worked out what the 3 pins accessible from the outside are from? Ideally I'd like to not have to rip my speedo open to reprogram it!

Did we document this anywhere? Ie where to set Pulses per mile, etc. I'm currently designing a sender unit for series gearboxes, so it'd be great to know what PPM to set!

Thanks

Thomas

Ah good: "Published on May 1, 2014" - we did get there first ;)

Kev

You're still safe Kev as the mileage algorithm and storage format for the TD5 is different to that. I do like the interface they use for programming the chip though, nice and cheap :)

The factory setting on the TD5 speedo it 4100 pulses per mile. We never got around to working out what the 3 pins were for.

Understood, really appreciate all the work you've done on this. Going to try and do it without soldering, any ideas if I can get some form of press on connector for reprogramming? I looked at the datasheet but unsure what package the eeprom is.

You can indeed get clips for that type of chip. It's a SOIC-8 iirc, I'll measure it later if you like to confirm, I've one on the bench.

That'd be very much appreciated. Did you attempt it with a bus pirate at all?

• 1 year later...

Idle curiosity got the better of me recently and as there is still no sign of a datasheet for the main processor in the TD5 speedo (the CDVN2117)  I thought I'd take a closer look at it.

If nothing else it is a pretty picture, here's a link to download the picture as it's far to big to post on the forum, try zooming in a bit ;) https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6XKpDGw3BjiTG9EZkktcF9SSmc

It's really only for geeks tbh.

Looks like it may contain some masked rom so perhaps it's possible to extract some data.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

In the interest of using old threads occasionally so they don't seize up, I thought I'd post this here, for the interest mainly of the geeks...

A few weeks ago, miketomcat donated a td5 speedo to my new Ibex build. I remembered the mileage could be reset/changed, but for the Ibex I will need to change the speedo calibration to match the tyre size before it goes to IVA.

I didn't have anything off the shelf so first job was to write an eprom reader/programmer. BTW for those who tried previously, the Bus Pirate is a great device, but the microwire library is broken for the eeprom in the speedo, as it uses 6bit addressing, which isn't supported in the BP library.

Mileage reset to 1, I started to look at the calibration. CwazyWabbit and MrKev previously tied down the checksum to a range of 8 possible values for any given calibration. I took a long read through the thread, but I didn't come up with any useful insights.

So... can I bruteforce the problem?

Program eeprom automatically? yep.

Switch 12V on and off to the speedo? yep

Drive the sender input at variable speed? yep

Check if the speedo operates as programmed? Hmm, bit more tricky, but many ways to skin a cat. I could have the speedo needle hit a microswitch (Wabbits suggestion, and probably the most sensible one). I could have the speedo needle break a beam sensor, or reflect an IR beam (white needle reflects well, black background doesnt). But in the end I decided the sledgehammer approach to nutcracking was the way to go.

Soooo... I have a machine vision camera with microcontroller I've never used for anything. After a few hours of fiddling, I have some functional scripts. For each calibration value, I try each of the possible checksums values, and the camera measures the speedo needle angle to decide if it is indicating 40mph or 0mph :rolleyes:

Total time to program, power up, drive the speedo up to speed, measure the needle angle and shut down again is about 15 seconds.
Trying all possible values would take about 3 months, much longer than my attention span. But finding a checksum for values between 1/4 to 4 times standard, in ~ 1% steps, only takes a few hours it seems :D

1004-3C.jpg.5e29e02975d48fadf870d90263629b4d.jpg

Camera output with wrong checksum (the text is written onto the saved image by the analysis software.)

1004-5C.jpg.4e6f0c89e6fb3a6d3150649560dfbc3b.jpg

Camera output with good checksum

The only problem now is I can't finish programming the speedo and put it back together, until I decide what size tyres I'm going to use :unsure:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1