TD5 Speedo Mileage run up circuit

I sent mine to Digidash, it came back exactly as I sent it, no damage whatsoever, just increased the total mileage reading to exactly as requested.

Is it possible that crcliffords speedo was done before yours Ralph? Maybe they learnt how to use the 3pin port in between doing the two? Or maybe they used his as an experiment to learn how to modify TD5 speedos, all possible I suppose.

Is it possible that crcliffords speedo was done before yours Ralph? Maybe they learnt how to use the 3pin port in between doing the two? Or maybe they used his as an experiment to learn how to modify TD5 speedos, all possible I suppose.

And mine was done in 2010...so that puts that one out.

However mine was to reduce the reading, as i was getting it put back to 0 to go with the recon engine that had just been fitted! whether that makes any difference or not!

Chris

And mine was done in 2010...so that puts that one out.

However mine was to reduce the reading, as i was getting it put back to 0 to go with the recon engine that had just been fitted! whether that makes any difference or not!

Chris

That might be the difference, James was kind enough to give me permission to open his speedo up so I'll be having a nose about soon, I'll post pictures when she's been laid bare ;)

Well assuming I have my wiring correct the contents of the memory are as shown in the picture :)

I really should have worked out how to power the speedo up first to read what the actual mileage is! Doh!

Anyway it's a fairly small bit of memory I read it out by attaching directly to the chip as that three pin port looks to go to the main processor chip, I haven't traced it yet though. Middle of the 3 pins is just GND.

Does anyone know the minimum amount of wires (and which ones) I need to connect to the speedo to get it to come to life? I have James' wiring diagram but unfortunately the pin numbers aren't shown on the speedo so don't know which way to count.

post-25689-0-43455300-1308700261_thumb.jpg

I soldered directly to the legs of the chip using fine wire, theory being I want to make sure it's possible first then we'll work on an easier more accessible method. The chip uses the microwire protocol which is a forerunner to SPI. I used a presto programmer I have from work to do this read but it should be possible to find something cheaper.

Once I manage to power the speedo up I'll clock it on a mile or two and see what changes. Also things like resetting the trip counter may help.

Warning NAKED Speedometer Pictures!!!!! :P

Once you take it apart you can see the only way to open these is to uncrimp the black metal ring ...carefully.

What looks like a seam on the back of the white plastic case is just a flash mark from manufacture.

PS sorry about the picture size, I was trying to leave as much detail in the first one to make it useful and then forgot to resize the second, oops... well maybe people like big chips :)

post-25689-0-91484500-1308730597_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-00477500-1308730623_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-52752300-1308730634_thumb.jpg

Edited by CwazyWabbit

Well that answers that question re. read/write cycles :)

Looks good, with regard to powering the speedo up you'd need to supply it 12V on pins 6 and/or 9 of the lower plug. These are the permanent 12V feed, I'm not sure how they are wired internally but supplying on both will cover all eventualities. Pin 10 is the 'ignition on' supply, but the mileage should display without it, ie. in 'ignition off' mode.

If you look at the pinout of the plug in the wiring diagram here, you should be able to work out which pins on the speedo you need to provide power to from the plug orientation. Somewhere in the wibbly wobbly speedo thread there is a photo of the speedo back with pin numbers on it, but I'm not sure where!

Warning NAKED Speedometer Pictures!!!!! :P

Once you take it apart you can see the only way to open these is to uncrimp the black metal ring ...carefully.

What looks like a seam on the back of the white plastic case is just a flash mark from manufacture.

Glad i was of some help...

I'm good at the taking apart...not so good at the elctronics side of things!

Hopefully, this means that future converters won't have to fork out over £100 to get theirs changed!!

Chris

Reason for counting down from F is that flash RAM erases to all 1's, and then you can write (blow) bits back to zero. I suspect they're blowing individual bits to avoid too many erase-write cycles (in fact they may never erase it after it leaves the factory) just realised that's a daft statement, although I suspect there's some cunning reason for it what with the thing having to store important info without being upset by a power-cycle or whatnot.

Good stuff!

I know the trip mileage is lost if you remove the permanent 12V supply, so it would make sense that this isn't on the 'permanent' EEPROM. I'm sure the total mileage features decimal points though, and is 'remembered'. Unless that part (the decimal) is stored on volatile memory like the trip mileage and removing the 12V permanent supply would revert your odometer to the whole mile. I know that when you cross 100k the decimal point disappears and you only get whole miles.

PS. It was 197,672 miles that that particular speedo wants to end up as :P

I think you have hit the Nail on the head there Sir! (Mr Freezer)

It also explains something that was puzzling me, when you add a mile on it takes 1 away from one of the 16bit words, when you add the next mile on though it takes 1 away from the next 16bit word. I imagine this is a crude form of wear levelling for counters and would make the flash last longer.

Thanks for that :)

Now will just need a few more experiments to work it out properly..... then I think we should look at that 3 pin port ...... from what Ralph and Chris have seen from digidash it would seem you only have to open the instrument to remove miles so I'd guess adding miles on can be performed externally via the 3 pin port. Unless Digidash just used a drill on Ralphs! :P

Good stuff!

I know the trip mileage is lost if you remove the permanent 12V supply, so it would make sense that this isn't on the 'permanent' EEPROM. I'm sure the total mileage features decimal points though, and is 'remembered'. Unless that part (the decimal) is stored on volatile memory like the trip mileage and removing the 12V permanent supply would revert your odometer to the whole mile. I know that when you cross 100k the decimal point disappears and you only get whole miles.

PS. It was 197,672 miles that that particular speedo wants to end up as :P

The fractional miles are lost when the permanent 12v is disconnected. Apparently the fractional mileage is only shown while the total is less than 100 000 as ther isn't enough space afterwards.

I think I may have worked it out.

To program James' Milage in, I reckon you need to program CFBD into the first 8 words of the EEPROM, i.e. instead of the FA64/FA65 that's there at the moment.

If I'm right, I'll tell you how I did it :D

Kev

p.s. I might be approx 10 miles out, so make the first 16 words look like this:

CFBD CFBD CFBD CFBD CFBC CFBC CFBC CFBC

Edited by MrKev

I think I may have worked it out.

To program James' Milage in, I reckon you need to program CFBD into the first 8 words of the EEPROM, i.e. instead of the FA64/FA65 that's there at the moment.

If I'm right, I'll tell you how I did it :D

Kev

p.s. I might be approx 10 miles out, so make the first 16 words look like this:

CFBD CFBD CFBD CFBD CFBC CFBC CFBC CFBC

Tsk, You are under by 3 Miles ;)

Well done! Spill the beans then :D

Strange

CFBC CFBC CFBC CFBD CFBD CFBD CFBD CFBD = 197671

CFBC CFBC CFBC CFBC CFBD CFBD CFBD CFBD = 197673

I can't get it to 197672 .... I drove around for a while at 120mph till it displayed 197672 but when I disconnected all power it returned as 197673, tried it twice now.