anybody living with a 110 soft top ddefender ?

evening,

is there anybody that has converted a 110 hardtop to a full soft top ? or maybe runs a series soft top ?

pro's and cons ?

i am of thinking about converting my 110 hard top to a soft top, the security issue isnt much of a concern, as i never have anything of great value left in the vehicle, i would probaly have to fit various security items, but am more interested with the daily running with a soft top...noise, weather,durability,problems etc.

cheers...

no problems with weather as long as you keep the canvas nice and tight.

no nosier (bare in mind its on a series with big tyres!)

only down side i have is that i cant see so well when reversing.( what do you mean the mirrors arent for putting my makeup on???)

big plus is its great in this weather with the sides rolled up! :)

HTH?

Mandy.

Hillbillys4x4Stickers005.jpg

i know its a pic of a series and you are talking about a Defender but you did mention series soft top?

evening,

is there anybody that has converted a 110 hardtop to a full soft top ? or maybe runs a series soft top ?

pro's and cons ?

i am of thinking about converting my 110 hard top to a soft top, the security issue isnt much of a concern, as i never have anything of great value left in the vehicle, i would probaly have to fit various security items, but am more interested with the daily running with a soft top...noise, weather,durability,problems etc.

cheers...

series..defender, not much diffeance ! and as i have blanked off the rear door, and removed the interior mirror to make way for the gps holder, reversing is best done with bonce stuck out the window :-) i also have the airportable, but that came to me as a hard top, ho hum etc.

Converted my 109 from full HT to full rag top and the 90 is also full rag top (though sometimes it goes topless, wears a bikini or a three man tilt).

Rag top is great, versatile, no noisier than a h/t without lining and no condensation problems. Easy to peal back for better access/visability when working on the truck. Surprisingly strong and durable as well.

Converted my 109 from full HT to full rag top and the 90 is also full rag top (though sometimes it goes topless, wears a bikini or a three man tilt).

Rag top is great, versatile, no noisier than a h/t without lining and no condensation problems. Easy to peal back for better access/visability when working on the truck. Surprisingly strong and durable as well.

evening,

do i need to waterproof a new canvas ? and do they shrink when wet etc ?

cheers...

evening,

do i need to waterproof a new canvas ? and do they shrink when wet etc ?

cheers...

Bought mine from All Wheel Trim last year, not waterproofed it yet and it doesn't leak, even in the

downpour at billing last Sat.

Was surprised how well it stands up to jetwashing too with only a small bit of spray getting through.

Does shrink when wet though so can't use press studs to fix it (sadly).

Mohair doesn't shrink but is 3 or 4 times the price.

Cheers,

Nige

• 2 weeks later...

A new canvas will shrink very quickly when new but will then continue to slowly shrink throughout its life if not tied down tight.

I ran my first soft-top (a 101) with elastic straps throughout and that shrank until it was too short and gaps appeared, after 5-years it was junk. The first canvas I bought for my current vehicle (a 90) was very close fitting when new and shrank very quickly, by the time I realised what was happening the firm had gone bust (I wonder why?). The canvas I am currently using (3-years old) is still in good shape and I run it with elastic on the rear flap but rope everywhere else.

With regards to waterproofing I have never had to, all mine have been 100% watertight even after several years of use but if I did have to do it I would use Fabseal (a tent re-proofer), I have used it on cotton before and it is the best stuff I have found.

A decent fitting canvas will not be too noisy and should not let any draughts in. It will actually be quite warm in the winter (better than an unlined hardtop) but if you find yourself getting chilly just fit a fume curtain, that will keep the heat in the cab.

Had a look at the PVC hoods at Billing as I was thinking of getting one but I don't like the look of them in the flesh, will stick to the tradditional type.