Help in a few issues

Hi all I need some advice on a few issues I have with my 1984 110 csw it was a V8 but now has a 300 TDi in it

Firstly the heater isn't giving any hot air the fan works well and both pipes going to the heater are getting hot but still no hot or even warm air.

I have noticed that it still has the original heater on it with the downward pointing pipes and the heaters for 300TDi's have straight pipes can this be the cause??.

Secondly my fuel gauge is way out so the last owner said once it show 1/4 of a tank it's empty. He did say that the sender unit needs the arm bent to fix this however I'm relutent to believe him after the issues with the brakes that turned out to be a simple fix.

And finally I need to get the engine number for my insurance company I've had alook but couldn't find it can someone point me in the right direction.

The engine number is on the drivers side of the engine below the front most injector on a strengthening rib, originally had a splash of white paint on it to aid reading. It is a prime area for collecting carp as it's a horizontal surface so you will need to clean it.

Hth

heater pipe positionmakes no difference, have a go at this feeling the cold in your truck adjusting heater cables

fuel tank sender unit can be accessed via the left rear wheel arch, but before you remove it obtain a new locking ring & seal items 17 & 18 on page 521 jack up axle stand under that corner & take the wheel/tyre off, that wll give you a bit more work space, make sure the fuel level is 1/4 tank, otherwise you'll be swimming in exensive diesel fuel.

engine number location see the attached page below, it should start with 16L if it cam from another Defender or 21L or 23L if it came from a Discovery or RR.

post-20-0-71158400-1309077084_thumb.jpg

I thought that was the sender when I was doing the rear brakes, so this bend the arm on it is a known problem ??? How much do I need to bend it?.

As for the heater I will check the cables but I'm pretty sure they are fine I did check them to see if they did move the arm and they seem to work fine and does the whole movement of the arm, how does this control the heat??.

One other thing I need to ask I want to fit seat belts on the 2nd row seats I have found the upper mounts behind the trim but there seems no bottom mounts can someone take a few pics so I can seen how they are fitted please, the reel type I want to fit.

Cheers Chris

I thought that was the sender when I was doing the rear brakes, so this bend the arm on it is a known problem ??? How much do I need to bend it?.

hard to say how much to bend the float arm, it might be catching or hanging on one of the in tank baffles

As for the heater I will check the cables but I'm pretty sure they are fine I did check them to see if they did move the arm and they seem to work fine and does the whole movement of the arm, how does this control the heat??

. cables control the air flow flaps in the heater box & in the lower dash, heater is a full flow type, so will have hot coolant all the time, there is no control valve for the coolant flow.

One other thing I need to ask I want to fit seat belts on the 2nd row seats I have found the upper mounts behind the trim but there seems no bottom mounts can someone take a few pics so I can seen how they are fitted please, the reel type I want to fit

Cheers Chris

bottom outer bracket fits on the outside under the wheelarch just inboard of the door/sideframe box section, diagrams have been posted on here before, try a search or look at page 6 part numbers are on page page 1034

Cheers western, I've had alook at the parts for the seat belts great stuff.

I'll pull the sender out at some point and check it. Just out of intrest how big is a fuel tank on a 110.

As for the heater I think I'll take it off the car and have a good look at it see what's going on with it.