TD5 top dead centre

africanpete

Hi

Looks like I'm going to be fitting a new head to my D2.

How can I make sure that No:1 cylinder is at TDC? Also, how do I set-up the new head so that No:1 cylinder is at TDC?

Any advice much appreciated including anything else I should be looking for or doing.

Cheers

Peter

The timing chain has marks on it (bright links). There is also a pip on both the cam and crank sprockets. TDC on the crank can either be done by removing the chain cover, or 'best guess through an injector hole. If you remove No1 injector and turn the engine clockwise with a length of rod through the hole, then as the piston approaches TDC, then the timing pip on the cam sprocket will be approaching 1 o-clock. There's a hole behind the sprocket in this position for a timing pin, which you use to set the cam with the engine at TDC on No1. If the chain is off, then the pip on the crank sprocket needs to be at 6 - clock, and the cam at 1 o-clock. The timing chain bright links wil allow the timing to be set accurately. Put the cam in the timing position before fitting it to the head.

Just to add - the bright links may be missing. If this is the case, then set the timing pips on the sprockets, then make your own marks before removing the chain.

Les.