Welding LT77 mainshaft to input gear (bodge!)

My LT77 mainshaft is on its last legs, the trouble is I need the Lanny next weekend for a job and its going to be carrying lot of weight.

I've just bought a spare 200tdi ratio LT77 and a Disco transfer box for Ashcrofts to rebuild but they wont be ready in time for me to swop.

My Lt77 is a 51A suffix with the lowered 1st and 2nd gears, and the transfer box is a 1.6ratio so value wise neither is really worth much 2nd hand anyway.

So Im toying with welding the mainshaft onto the transfer box input gear to stop me from worrying as Im plodding down the M6 next weekend. I know its a bodge and basically both boxes would be going to in the bin at some point anyway. Has anyone done this with any success?

I'm sure i've read somewhere about someone wedging the input gear to the mainshaft with strips of metal - i think they used cuts like the nails used for floorboards! - Yours is much less of a bodge compared to that. You may find that ashcrofts would give you something for the boxes when you are done with them though - i had a couple of spare boxes (in addition to the exchange ones) that i traded in against some re-con units with them, so perhaps dont weld it so that you cant seperate them eventually without damaging the casing or other components.

Just some questions that ran through my head ....

Would welding it make it that much stronger anyway? You would need very good penetration and are the steels weldable with normal rod or will they just crack?

What sort of welding?

Assuming electric of some description where will you put the earth clamp? You don't want current to find it's way through any bearings.

How much of your splines are left at the moment?

Sorry for inquisition :s

My mate had the misfortune of buying a gearbox and transfer box off ebay that had been welded like this. He thought he was struggling to seperate the two :angry:

I shall definiately be splitting the two before buying in the future!

Not suggesting you'd sell yours just saying it seems a "done thing" although I was amazed! There wasn't any backlash between the two though :lol:

My splines were like little triangles, I did another 400 miles before I did something about it and by that stage they were starting to break up, didn't look any more worn just started losing bits of metal. There was no heavy towing during those last 400 miles though. Let me find a picture to give an idea ...

If you are happy consigning the old boxes to the bin afterwards and prepared to do the work I guess give it a try and see how things go. Watch out for melting the seals between the gearbox and transfer box, and setting fire to the transfer box! Would be good to see how it turns out if you do go ahead :-)

post-25689-0-84135100-1309459962_thumb.jpg

My mate had the misfortune of buying a gearbox and transfer box off ebay that had been welded like this. He thought he was struggling to seperate the two :angry:

I shall definiately be splitting the two before buying in the future!

Not suggesting you'd sell yours just saying it seems a "done thing" although I was amazed! There wasn't any backlash between the two though :lol:

A lot of work with the die grinder to seperate them I bet! probably best taken straight to the scrap man :)

well I've bodged it!

Took the transfer box inspection plate off then bolted back up the input bearing holder to make sure the input gear was in the right position.

Ground a whitworth nut down and screwed in onto the end of the gearbox mainshaft then welded everything together in small stages to keep the heat levels down.

Seems okay so far, just has to get me to Cannock and back next weekend! (thankfully I have breakdown cover)