propshaft

djcraigb

hi can anyone help a newbie?

i have a 2000 freelander 1.8 3door and its making so bad noises at low speeds it sounds like an exhaust or hear shield has come loose, but a mechanic looked at it and said it needs a whole new propshaft as it can only be bought as a whole piece, then someone else told me i can just get a viscous joint then another landrover dealer told me i can just get the coupling for under £90 so now i'm a bit confused on what i need to do

You need to get underneath and poke around a bit. There are two propshafts - front and rear - and a viscous coupling unit in the middle, supported by two rubber-mounted bearings. The most likely thing is that the two bearings are disintegrating. You will soon see if you grab either propshaft and try to push it around. If you can move it more than a few millimetres, then that's a possible problem

The other possibility is the 3 rubber mountings that support the rear differential. Again, grab the diff, or the rear propshaft near the diff, and see if you can move it around. If the rubber mountings are badly worn the diff can hit the floor of the car.

Yes - sounds like typical prop shaft bearings. I did mine 14 months ago and replaced the VCU at the same time for a GKN one.

Stupidly I used cheap Bearmach Chinese bearings at £18 each. These perished in 12 months and have just had to replace again as they were vibrating and knocking around corners. I'd get the GKN ones or Landrover.

Also look at the diff mounts for perishing of rubber.

Doing the whole lot with decent kit ain't cheap - but it will feel like a different vehicle after!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi I also had a noise which sounded like loose exhaust had a good look found nothing,removed the whole prop and vcu,car runs great but i still have the noise,was gutted when i drove off,so at the moment im still running without prop and vcu until i can sourse the noise,hope this helps.