Megasquirt USB To Serial Testing - Freebie for a tester or 3

Right

Need 3 x 'PC Numpties' (thats other than me) who are into Megasquirt :)

I have a number of peeps now who often are saying they don't have access to a PC/Laptop with a 'Serial Port',

and need a USB to Serial convertor...

As such I have been buying and trying various units, I have to admit that of all the ones tried so far they have

been appalling quality dropping to absysmal at times. Most drop out on logging regaularly, or a so flakey either

to get working or stay working,I have now found 1 x that seems good, infact very good, far better than any of

the others, but not cheap (Theres a reason for that I guess :rofl: ) !but my dustbin seems to have stopped filling

up with 'test units' :blink:

Anyway, I have tried it played with it, and am happy that it seems 'decent quality' and works - BUT - I want it tested.

So, if you are into Megasquirt, have a working squirted truck, a USB ported PC and are prepared to help me this is the deal.

I will give you free for gratis a "USB To Serial Adapter" with CD etc and a Male Female 1.5 Metre Extension lead

(winner can also chose a 5 metre option if they prefer :) )from Adapter to ECU, and P&P obvously free,

so you have all the kit required, ...........and you can keep this when finished as a 'Thankyou'

What do I want in return ?

I expect you to get it, load it, try it several times - and then report back to me the following :

1. How easy was it to connect and get working, what (if anything) was an issue ?

2. How long did it take to get from the box on to the pc connect up and be working ?

3. How long a logs did you do, did the data stream drop out at any point, say up to a 20 mins log

4. Anything else useful to know ?

5. If you had bought it - would you be happy with it ? - the "Acid" test

And thats it really,

I want 3 x keen 'megasquirters' who by their own admission are not too "PC Savvy", I need to know

that these are easy to connec,t and use, and are relaible for peeps like me that want things simple and reliable..

..without having PC knowledge to put Prof Stephen Hawkins to shame to get them to work and keep them working :lol: !

These units are good for Win98/2000/XP/ and Vista (I'll need to send a Driver for this) but Windows 7 untested, and so

1 x winner MUST ALSO have Windows 7 as well as dubious PC Skills :lol:

Its not a "1st come 1st served" - post up if you would like to help, and admit to your "PC Skills" as well,

I will chosse 2x winners this weekend - I have ordered 3 x Brand New units in Blister packs etc, so it is a true

"From Arrival" landing on your doormat test.

Those that win will be notified here, and I'll then PM them for their postal address etc next week.

May the Vultures start circling :rofl:

Nige

I've got a squirt and a xp laptop but I am a whizz with PCs. I'll sure you'll get better candidates but I can put my tester hat on a not try and be too clever about things if that helps.

However as a bonus I might well be able to provide a Linux test.

I would be very interested to know which usb to serial adapter you have found as in the past I have tried quite a few (not on megasquirt) and they suffer in any high/long data transfer. Quite understand if you don't want to reveal which one till after your test.

PS I meet none of the entry criteria for your test so I was just after info, not trying to blag anything. :)

Gawd - don't I know it

These run "Prolific PL" Chipsets if tahts any help and had one in the 90 logging for 40 mins without dropping out

but I had done so much loading unloading comms port tweaks resets and one after another Convertors its a blur,

I know one is somewhere on the A3, as it dropped out within 1 mins logging 5 x in a row and got lauched :ph34r: I was so

annoyed - and that wasn't cheap either, the cheap ones a truly hopeless :rolleyes:

Nige

Nige, i'm ok with computers but will happily try one out for you. I had to buy an old laptop with a serial port for the workshop, so a usb one would be handy :)

G

p.s. i'll pay for those stubby's now, just got in from work :)

I've played around a bit with quite a selection of these thingies, and also written USB host and device software for embedded whatnots. In general, I have found them to be ok, but not that great.

The Prolific ones (PL2303 I think) have always struck me as a bit dobby, but generally work.

There's another chip made by FTDI (FT232..) which I have found to be much more stable generally and more reliable than the Prolific ones for the situations I've used them in.

When it comes to drivers, the windows serial usb driver (Usbser.sys) has several known faults, especially with missing packets under certain situations (details irrelevant here I guess). The FTDI chips come with FTDI written drivers, and are generally considered superior. Prolific adaptors also use their own driver .sys file to circumnavigate the windows offering.

Do you know if you have had problems then with FDTI converters?

Kev

Gawd Knows, I do have a problem with my knee at times, can you help with that ? :huh:

Nige, I thought you were the forum Surgeon? I could probably hit it with something.

Megasquirting an engine seems like a reasonably techie thing to be doing, so I would have thought that most of the users would therefore be moderately PC savvy.

Kev

I don't mind helping but prefer not to be called a numptie/mumptie whatever

I don't have any special PC knowledge, it is a tool like all the other ones that get chucked if they don't work

As far as the USB converter goes, it works or it doesn't. I don't know how to write reams of code to make it work. I have two, one works, one appears not to

The FTDI chipset convertors are reckoned to be the most reliable judging from a number of topics about this on the MS forums. The easy way of telling if it's an FTDI chipset is from the names of the files in the driver. Not sure how easy the setup is though as I run a Mac with an old Keyspan adaptor.

Not got the Megasquirt fitted yet, but have Megajolt on the 90, a Win 7 starter netbook and XP Pro laptop, both with no serial port.

I'm not PC phobic but have a vague idea what I'm upto.

Any good for you?

I have one of those serial to USB things from Belkin, it seemed to work pretty well when my mate borrowed it while he got a computer with a serial port.

It's a Belkin F5U109, has drivers for lots of OSes, and has worked with most things I've thrown at it (IC programmers etc).