Megasquirt USB To Serial Testing - Freebie for a tester or 3

I'd recommend the FTDI devices as well. I've used them in a number of projects and haven't had any problems. Well, I did have problems, but it was down to my crappy programming.

FTDI tech support are very good as well (providing you can cope with a Glaswegian accent). They sell adapters from their website (http://www.ftdichip.com/). They used to be about a tenner, but now they're £18 :blink:

Must be something cheaper out there, but for evaluating the ICs it may be worth getting an approved adapter from the manufacturer of the IC just to help rule out problems of cheap Chinese manufacture.

Rob.

Ive got the one from trigger wheels (FTDI?) It was expensive but works so was worth every penny. I use vista (worst OS ever?) and had to allow a com port service before it would work which took me flippin ages to find :(

I used to be pretty hot but technology has kinda left me and now I look around the OS thinking whats all this rubbish, stupid blobby buttons, endless questions & illogical filing.

I have it basically running but need to do some refining over the next month so I can test if you like... or you can hand deliver it to KORC at the end of the month and test it yourself whilst refining my engine :D :D :D

I built a USB to serial converter in my final year, that was pretty good, used it to "bit-bang" :ph34r: Cortex M3 Micro controllers. My supervisor might have swiped it though. That was awesome. Olimex do some good stuff as well :)

ME was better than Vista. Vista says "Ah, I see you have a huge hard disk, let me fill that for you with stuff that I won't use but also won't let you remove and just to really get your goat i'm going to ask you if every click was intentional"

Win 2K for ever :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another vote for FTDI - they're stuff is stupidly simple to use and very reliable.If it's any help our company (small family business, i.e. Dad and Mum and I help out with the difficult software side of things once in a while) uses them a heck of a lot with data acquisition systems among other things. In terms of reliability these things are meant to run for years on end or at least many many hours at full pelt. The only issue that has been brought up is if you want to tweak the driver for your own use (i.e. when you plug in the USB cable then it'd appear as Megasquirt in your case) then there are a couple of driver signing issues with Windows 7 x64 but we were investigating cheap methods of doing the signing.We've also got all the necessary fab facilities here for prototyping / production and I know Dad quite enjoys fun projects for vehicles - he's built a very successful power steering unit for amateur rally cars that allows them to adjust the level of assistance.Oh - definitely not computer illiterate given I've worked professionally as a software developer and am now have an MEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering. Likewise don't have a V8 vehicle or Megasquirt but have been contemplating for a long time to fit a V8 to the 88"...

Hi Nigel

i got my usb to serial adapter from dave walker at emerald it seems to work quite well i am not that much of an expert with computers, and it has lovely flashing blue lights, lol

but i am having trouble getting a decent base map for it if you could help it would much appreciated

OK, I've done some looking, not only can we do it with FTDI (IMHO the best/most reliable/least faff) devices, we can do it very neatly:

usb_db9.jpg

...that's it! It contains all the electronics required and just goes in place of the normal 9-pin socket. No case mods required.

These can be soldered to the board at build-time or you could stick one on a small adapter/link PCB. Unsoldering the old one & converting is doable but if you're not confident I'd advise against it as it's easy to mess the PCB up.

I'm going to order one and give it a whirl.

• 2 weeks later...

Prolific converters really really need the correct drivers, cant vouch for use with mega squirting but I use these devices regularly at work. Many drivers will appear to work but you need the correct driver for that particular type of prolific chip!

Moxa products are generally good too ( if a bit pricey ) though I would avoid using the Ethernet based moxas if mega squirt strings are only 1/2bytes long

It might be just me being nosey... but what do the three LEDs do? :unsure:

They indicate various things, which you can configure.

First one is usually used to drive the EDIS module's spark advance, second indicates cold start enrichment is in effect, third indicates acceleration enrichment.

• 7 years later...

I have an ftdi thing on my ecu, but am struggling to get my laptop and ecu to communicate! I'm a bit out of my depth and don't know enough about all the setting you may need. 

Does it need a driver? I could try reinstalling it? 

I have tried to find com port locations, but the two I have found both say com1 and com2, not usb..... 

Some guidance needed please! 

Steve