Longfield 'unbreakable' CV/shaft package anyone?

Kev Baldwin

I'm running the Jac Mac 27spline Chromo axles, Long Chromo 27 spline CVs and Toy 3rds with ARBs and 4.88s. Am yet to break one with 2.5 years of hardcore wheeling on 37" IROKs and a full bodied Disco.

With a lot of the weight off (some added from exo cage) I'm taking my chances with the same axles on 42" IROKs. Time will tell, but if something goes south, its time for portals...

I'm running the Jac Mac 27spline Chromo axles, Long Chromo 27 spline CVs and Toy 3rds with ARBs and 4.88s. Am yet to break one with 2.5 years of hardcore wheeling on 37" IROKs and a full bodied Disco.

With a lot of the weight off (some added from exo cage) I'm taking my chances with the same axles on 42" IROKs. Time will tell, but if something goes south, its time for portals...

I been running a setup very similar to Disco.. with Toy 3rds.. 4.5 ratio.. 27 - 30 spline axles and just the standard Longfield cv's.. in a lightened (read stripped out) 2dr Rangie.. on 35 ET's

have not broken anything (yet) either..

The Longfield Chromo 4340/300M cv's are the strongest you can fit in a Rover axle.. and most probably the last most will ever buy..

Only concern would be longevity..as these were initially designed for Toyota's which are not permanent 4wd.. so I dont know how long they would last in daily driver scenario.. mine is not daily driver so I cant comment..

here

P.S. Rovertracks stuff highly regarded in the US.

Before you all go mad,

Ask Nick Fields in his Orange and White Disco Bob, how long his nice new unbreakable Rovertracks halfshafts lasted him!

1st one 10 minutes !

2nd one 1 hour !

Not impressive I can tell you.

Lara.

These are quite different. The current Rovertracks shafts are made by Moser and are just high strength steel. These new ones are 4340 and made by Longfield. Lifetime guarantee. They will be much stronger than the R&P.

Or you could just go to Ashcrofts for their 4340 shafts and CVs......

isn't nick putting 500hp through them though?

Hi Dolly,

Good to hear you are back safe from the land of Vodka!

Don't think 500, 350 would be nearer to the mark, (still plenty) but when the new shafts broke he was not even using half of the available power!

A bit worrying! specially as they made a mess of the diff carrier on the first one.

Landyman,

Be careful with your specs, 4340 is not strictly 300M ....... 300M or S155 specs as follows

300M is a low alloy, vacuum melted, steel of very high strength. Essentially it is a modified AISI 4340 steel with silicon, vanadium and slightly greater carbon and molybdenum content than 4340. 300M has a very good combination of strength (280 to 305 ksi), toughness, fatigue strength and good ductility.

Landyman,

Be careful with your specs, 4340 is not strictly 300M ....... 300M or S155 specs as follows

300M is a low alloy, vacuum melted, steel of very high strength. Essentially it is a modified AISI 4340 steel with silicon, vanadium and slightly greater carbon and molybdenum content than 4340. 300M has a very good combination of strength (280 to 305 ksi), toughness, fatigue strength and good ductility.

Lara, I think Landyman might be saying that differant parts of the CV are differant alloys. Perhaps the Longs use a 300M star and cage and a 4340 bell like the ashcroft ones.....

Lara, I think Landyman might be saying that different parts of the CV are different alloys. Perhaps the Longs use a 300M star and cage and a 4340 bell like the ashcroft ones.....

Yep could be Will,

Just thought I would make sure as I have heard a lot of metal specs being bandied about wrongly recently.

For instance many people think 300M is Maraging 300, nothing further from the truth.

Sorry Landyman if that is what you meant.

Lara.

Actually the CVs are supposed to be fine, just not the half shafts!

Or you could just go to Ashcrofts for their 4340 shafts and CVs......

Of course, but for 685 UKP wersus $650 USD. So the Ashcroft ones are around twice the cost.

I should add, if you don't get around outside of the Rover world, Longfield is very well respected and well known. They have produced 1000s of their 300M/4340 CVs for the Toyota market. Longfield

Of course, but for 685 UKP wersus $650 USD. So the Ashcroft ones are around twice the cost.

I should add, if you don't get around outside of the Rover world, Longfield is very well respected and well known. They have produced 1000s of their 300M/4340 CVs for the Toyota market. Longfield

Yep, but its worth it IMHO for the availability / lack of hastle.

Yeah, I looked at longs as an option for CVs at one point. There's no doubty about the quality!

How do you melt steel in a vacuum? :unsure: