Freelander Clock

hissing sid

Hi,

I recently bid for and bought a brand new Freelander clock from Harwoods on ebay. I purchased it because the display had completely disappeared on the clock of my Freelander when I bought it, and the Radio didn"t work because the previous owner fitted a much better unit replacing it with the original when he sold the car and I presume was unable to enter the security code. I have fitted the new clock, which tells the time correctly but I an unable to get the radio to work. My question is? Were there 2 different clocks supplied with Freelanders? My original clock was numbered XQH100100 this new clock is numbered YFB100380, does this new clock still have the facility to display the radio?

The instruction manual tells me that when entering a new code "Wait" should be displayed, I get nothing. What am I doing wrong or is this the wrong clock for my Freelander?

Please help.

Dave

your first part number says here, it's a clock & radio display here

the other number says it's just a clock here

what year is your vehicle ? the 2001 on was factory fitted with radio/cassette unit R770

Hi,

Thanks for your answer.

My Freelander is a 2001 TD4 with a factory fitted Radio/Cassette.

Does this mean that the clock is no good for my needs?

Dave

Reckon so, you need your first part number if your VIN is after 2A629095.

found this bit of info too. http://www.myfreelander.co.uk/Electrical/elecprobs15.htm

found the connector diagrams for /98 model year & '01 model year the plugs have the same colour wires in the same locations in the plug, so it must be the actual display that is different internally.

Thanks mate,

I"ll get on to Harwoods to see if they"ll take it back. Do you think there is anyway I could use the display from the new clock with the internals from the original clock? because other than the display I believe the rest of it works ok.

Cheers

Dave

My 2001 TD4 came with a clock that is just a clock. Mine originally had the C42? cassette unit with the display on the unit, not in the clock and a CD changer under the seat. I have a 1A337xxx VIN

My clock had an eight pin connector on the back, but with only 4 pins populated. The radio display clocks had all eight pins fitted. I think these clocks were shared with similar age Rover 200s etc, so it shouldn't be too expensive find one.

Rob.

My 2001 TD4 came with a clock that is just a clock. Mine originally had the C42? cassette unit with the display on the unit, not in the clock and a CD changer under the seat. I have a 1A337xxx VIN

My clock had an eight pin connector on the back, but with only 4 pins populated. The radio display clocks had all eight pins fitted. I think these clocks were shared with similar age Rover 200s etc, so it shouldn't be too expensive find one.

Rob.

Thanks for that Rob. So if I wanted to fit a C42 cassette unit I wouldn"t need to worry about changing the clock. Any idea where I can buy one of those units?

You can get a C42 from eBay, or put a wanted ad on here, but unless you really want to keep it genuine Land Rover I'd recommend getting a good aftermarket radio. It is a standard single DIN hole.

You may need an adapter cable for the power and speaker wires. The radio loom for mine was of the BMW round pin style and I needed a £4 loom adapter to allow a different radio to be fitted.

I think your cheapest, easiest option is to get the right clock (£20-£30 on eBay), otherwise I'd go for a new head unit (£50+). I wouldn't recommend the C42 option.

Do you have steering wheel controls or a CD changer you want to keep?

It may be possible to repair your existing clock. Stupid question... Have you checked the lamp in the clock?

Rob.

I have a freelander head unit spare, but I couldn't tell you if it is a c42....

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Does the Radio unit you have spare have it"s own display unit. Can it be recoded without having to use the clock and importantly, how much do you want for it?

Harwoods are prepared to refund my money if I send the clock back, but it might be easier for me to fit another Radio.

Cheers

Dave

You can get a C42 from eBay, or put a wanted ad on here, but unless you really want to keep it genuine Land Rover I'd recommend getting a good aftermarket radio. It is a standard single DIN hole.

You may need an adapter cable for the power and speaker wires. The radio loom for mine was of the BMW round pin style and I needed a £4 loom adapter to allow a different radio to be fitted.

I think your cheapest, easiest option is to get the right clock (£20-£30 on eBay), otherwise I'd go for a new head unit (£50+). I wouldn't recommend the C42 option.

Do you have steering wheel controls or a CD changer you want to keep?

It may be possible to repair your existing clock. Stupid question... Have you checked the lamp in the clock?

Rob.

Thanks for your help Rob,

The bulb is fine, the trouble is that the digital display is knackered. Could you tell me where you bought the £4.00 loom adapter? I might need to buy one.

Cheers

Dave.

eBay. It was described as "PC2-05-4 Landrover Defender Freelander ISO Lead Stereo" and came from LiquidIce-2008. It was £1.85+P&P in December last year.

Just checked, they're £1.45 now!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PC2-05-4-Landrover-Defender-Freelander-ISO-Lead-Stereo-/180589791588?pt=UK_Cars_Parts_Vehicles_Terminals_Cabling_ET&hash=item2a0bfd8964

No connection to Liquidice, just a satified customer.

Rob.