Galv'd fuel tank?

If it's for a diesel engined vehicle the tank cannot be galvanised. Galvanising dissolves in diesel and may form little flakes of zinc which, if they get past your fuel filter, will knacker the injection pump.

Unless you habitually use diesel from dodgy sources and end up with water in the tank, the corrosion will be on the outside of the tank only so stripping a new tank back to bare metal and giving it a good coat of decent quality primer and several coats of gloss is probably the best protection you will get if you can't stretch to the cost of a stainless tank.

Over the lifetime of a Landrover I think fuel tanks probably need to be considered as disposable - they are surprisingly cheap to buy as pattern parts.

Nick.

I think the biggest problem with the metal style of tank is that the guard which goes underneath the tank (and is spot welded to it) creates a perfect gap (in the space between the guard and the tank) for mud to accumulate. I took the guard off mine in so as to make it possible to get at the tank and paint it properly. I then made a stainless guard to replace the old steel one.

There's a gallery here which shows how I did mine.

Nick.

• Like 1

Another potential problem with the galv approach is that sometimes solder/lead is used to seal the tanks, although I suspect that any displaced solder would be replaced with zinc!

G.