Advice needed for crazy idea

Ok, obviously having a not quite finished LR90 is't enough hassle for me and I've got this rediculous idea of trading my nice reliable 04 Diesel Focus for a 110 double cab TD5... this 110 will be my "runabout" so I'm looking at standard as possible etc. good for cruising as well as eveything else i do. Now I'm not super rich and been looking at trucks, and what seems to be in my price range are all trucks with 100k on the clock, familiar but not totally with Td5's I'm looking at avoiding the earlier ones as they had some of the early teething problems etc. but what can I expect to be going wrong on a Td5 with 100k on the clock, anything I really need to be looking out for? Drivetrain isn't so much of a concern as I've re-built axles before, its more the Td5 power plant my knowledge is lacking.... am I being a little ediotic here...?

Any advice appreciated

Mav

I have an early (or at least pre2002) 110 td5 doublecab, and I love it - however I wouldn't necessarily run it as an every day run about.

The engine is actually really good - I bought mine on 148k and have done 7k miles in it since May 2010. Other than servicing/fluid changes the only real issue I had was the wastegate stuck open, which was an easy fix.

My major issue is the amount of rust in the chassis, doors and to some extent the bulkhead - mine has had a reasonably hard life, but I still feel that a 10 year old car should not be this rusty (needs a new rear x-member).

MPG on short - medium runs is pretty terrible too. My 2 litre turbo diesel car gets approx twice what the 110 gets out of a gallon....

It is noisy on long journeys - although not helped by minimal soundproofing (farmer spec) and mud tyres.

If you already have a defender what is your motivation for getting another? If you want to stick with the green oval, a td4 freelander is hard to beat as an every day comfortable, reasonably economical vehicle...

;)

Mark

Ok, obviously having a not quite finished LR90 is't enough hassle for me and I've got this rediculous idea of trading my nice reliable 04 Diesel Focus for a 110 double cab TD5... this 110 will be my "runabout" so I'm looking at standard as possible etc. good for cruising as well as eveything else i do. Now I'm not super rich and been looking at trucks, and what seems to be in my price range are all trucks with 100k on the clock, familiar but not totally with Td5's I'm looking at avoiding the earlier ones as they had some of the early teething problems etc. but what can I expect to be going wrong on a Td5 with 100k on the clock, anything I really need to be looking out for? Drivetrain isn't so much of a concern as I've re-built axles before, its more the Td5 power plant my knowledge is lacking.... am I being a little ediotic here...?

Any advice appreciated

Mav

Moved on from a TD5 Disco with over 100K to a Double cab with over 100K and they both had one thing in common.. Fuel regulator leaking. With the two vehicles I have replaced 3 regulators and the current one leaks. I have learned to live with it and won't bother to replace this one. Other than that I have had no problems. Oil tracking through the loom to the ECU can easily be prevented by cutting the 5 injector trigger wires and reconnecting in an open connector block away from the ECU. People say an awful lot of scary things about the TD5 but I remember the change from distributor to electronic ignition and then from carb to fuel injection. These were things we had to adapt to. The fact that it has five cylinders freaks some out

Some good advice on the Td5 thanks chaps. My main and only motivation for this is that I just love driving my 90, but the problem with that is its not by any means a comuting vehicle, because of all its silly modifications I've got a limited milage policy on it, also its noisey as hell (your ears start to ring after a 20 min drive!!!) as I never finished putting all the new sound proofing in it. This truck is like my family now so its not going to be going anywhere (Present plan - i want to take it apart again and paint it properly, and put a new engine in it - when I get a garage... presently not got anywhere to properly work on it just now!)

I went for a tootle round in one of our Mountain rescue Td5 110's and I was amazed at how comfy it was and quiet!.... which has gotten me thinking...

I've been checking verious prices and as usual for defenders they are all over the place, its more being in the right place at the right time I think!

I've had a TD5 Hard Top as my daily for about a year. Had a 200tdi CSW before that. I always fancied one because of the sound of them :ph34r: Now I can actually overtake with relative ease :)

At this point, all the common problems are documented. Oil in the loom, fuel pumps dying / regulators leaking, MAF sensors going, oil pump bolt and plastic dowels in the head on the early ones.

I've had a few small problems.

The fuel pump relay was not seated correctly, leaving me stranded for a while, as it took a while to find the problem. (I'd had the truck a week!)

After starting, it'll occasionally be in no-boost/limp mode for about 15 seconds, before it returns to full power. This I assume to be the MAF or MAP sensor playing games, but the problem is so intermittant, it isn't a problem at the moment, and isn't getting worse.

The fuel economly is awful. I clocked it once at about 28mpg and haven't done it since. This is with muds and a roofrack.

If you like driving one, then go for it. I personally love mine. None of the problems are going to be mad expensive, short of a cracked fuel rail or other head problem.

The fuel economly is awful. I clocked it once at about 28mpg and haven't done it since. This is with muds and a roofrack.

Engine issues aside, I guess it depends on how far your daily commute is Mav, whether it will cause significant pain in your wallet to have run a thirsty 110 compared to your modern Focus...

Personally, because my commute is relatively short, I'm planning on selling my faithful Eurobox if/when I finally get my truck on the road. For long journeys to see family there's always SWMBO's Eurobox...

after 2002 they get the facelift dash and the later / better 15p engine

10k gets you a nice 2003 with 80,000 on ebay

i'd like a dc but with a disco transfer box mod

Whats impovments did they make to the engines after 02? anyone know what the 15p prefix was for?

Cheers

They had the extra heat exhanger, something to do with emissions and Euro III/IV I believe?

But I think the later engines are more reliable as they ironed out a few of the problems with the earlier units. Head dowels etc.

I did a quick search and pulled up things like, slightly different heads, steel dowls, somthing to do with 1 hole instead of 2.. some ECU changes and refinments. Taking a wild guess I should be going for a 15p/16p engine if I can find one.

And an increase in fuel pressure, but no ammendments to tne head to account for this.

Smell for engine oil that has a whiff of diseasel= new head. <_<

Luckily I bought my D2 from a dealer with a warranty. <_<:D

They had the extra heat exhanger, something to do with emissions and Euro III/IV I believe?

The later one has an exchanger for the EGR gasses on the front of the block. Irrelevant really if you are removing the EGR. :)

And an increase in fuel pressure, but no ammendments to tne head to account for this.

Smell for engine oil that has a whiff of diseasel= new head. <_<

Luckily I bought my D2 from a dealer with a warranty. <_<:D

Oh that doesn't sound too good, what was the problem? warped head? when you say diesel you mean burnt or unburnt?

A friend of mine runs an 04 110 DC, he absolutely loves it but complains that it's horrible on the motorway, he reckons once the remap is done and a disco transfer box is fitted it will be perfect though.

No major mechanical problems with his so far :D

Oh that doesn't sound too good, what was the problem? warped head? when you say diesel you mean burnt or unburnt?

Unburnt diseasel.

The heads crack around the injectors and leak diseasel. Turners heads (Spanish) are much better and beefier around this area,

but th edealer just used a new LR head for the repair eventhough the Turner one was cheaper. <_< So a bit of a timebomb.

As I said, look for increasing `oil level´ and oil smelling of diseasel.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after a week spent on my touring biking cycling up the Outer Hebrides gives you a bit of time to think! and check out a fair few fancy Land rovers other people (usually dutch or Germans) where using on there holidays!

So Saturday just gone I went a test driving... I've found a local 110 double cab 02 plate 80k on the clock for 7500... doesn't sound bad until you start looking at the jobs it needs doing, After the first test drive of a TD5 I was suprised to see how much more responsive it is mainly pulling away but as soon as you start getting to 60+mph its very much similar to my 200Tdi 90 (which was a pleasant suprise actually) - the Service history had a stamp in at 21k and then 72k... not exactly what you want to see really... Jobs I found that needed doing included: rear cross member, front springs, front disc & pads, all 4 doors bent and rusty - non of them shut properly, fron left swivel seal leaking, very juddery pulling away on 1st with very little throttle - so cluch needed looking at... I was a little but disgusded it even got through its MOT to be frank, aspecially with the lumpy breaks and at least 1 colapsed spring. anywhooo I was pleasantly suprised how confident I was about telling the dealer chap the list of my findings! he soon stopped arguing with me. Seeing how much its been abused doesn't inspire me to pursue this one... So next test drive was something a little more plush.... 56 plate Land rover 110 XS 40k on the clock in a rich dark blue... I think it was about 16k... OMG I think I have been spoilt for life after this experience, I rather fine vehicle that tickled my tast buds but unfortunatly was to much casheroonies for me...

Now I belive I have learnt a small lesson here (which is unusual for me) and I'm going to save the pennies up so I can buy summit a little bit smarter than another money pit. Its a nice feeling to walk into a car/truck dealership and know precisely what you're looking at and have the confidance to say, "oi thats wrong" - one thing is for certain, I'm buying a noise killer kit for the 90 as its rediculously loud compared to the other 2 vehicles!