anyone else heard the Latest from Billing?

white90

Trailmasters 110 squashed by falling tree in High winds

caravan/awning the same fate.

high winds/heavy rain.

it suddenly went from sunny to very dark, then windy, then HUGE rain, 10 mins later big crashing noise, tree down, squashed 110 right opposite, people running over, luckily no one hurt, 2 mins later ambulance arrived and nearly skidded straight into it on the wet grass !

as soon as it went dark and we could see it coming we opened all the vans and cars and just started throwing everything in, we were planning on leaving late sat but not quite that early !

a memorable end to a good show,

Guest diesel_jim

I spoke to my missus about 13:30hrs in Swindon, she said it was persisting down, i laughed as it was very hot and sunny at Bling!

then about 14:30 the skies started to darken, like this:

HPIM1919.jpg

So as i'd pretty much walked around twice, i grabbed the last few things and scedaddled back to the car sharpish. just as i got to it, there was what seemed like a mini twister, the wind just whipped right up (i videod it with my camera but it didn't come out too well)

then as i was sat trying to get out of the carpark, it was like this:

HPIM1923.jpg

From Swindon to Bling took bang on 1 1/2 hours this morning (quiet roads and i was giving it "some" B) ) took 2 1/2 on the way back! because i missed a junction just before th A43 i ended up all over the place, finishing up in Bicester, and every poxy little road was blocked by fallen trees!

Thank god no one was injured in the showground though.

Well I've been in Pompey all day. Great chance ot catch up with the truck after playing at Brick Kiln last sunday. Had managed to traverse the mud in the deeper bomb hole which until last sunday is not something we'd seen before. In fact the recoveries can be quite drawn out.

Anyway having pressure washed an inch or more of mud out of the footwells I now had mud spray covering the whole cab. So, bucket, soap and spongs I gave it a good wash and let the rains hose it away. Much better. :D

Also did battle with a siezed hand brake (ooh for an x-eng jobbie), smoking the clutch to try and get the drum to thow itself off. By heck the truck goes better now :D

Entertaining wasn't it. They had issued a severe weather warning that morning. According to the Met Office it was a non touchown tornado.

I sheltered at the Wright Off Road tent. We clipped the winch on it and then held on to it for dear life. The guys next door were not so lucky.

The damage I saw amounted to the Trailmasters 110, two caravans, one with a branch in the roof. One flattened! Large number of awnings scattered around. Matt Savage stand completely wiped out (he was in a fairly exposed position).

Heard that a car had been hit and someone trapped for a short time and several tents spotted in the jet ski lake.

Only live a couple of minutes down the road and at home there was only a little rain and some wind.

Guy

It came in very fast.

Me ,Dave and Vicky were in the Gigglepin stand chatting to Jim about his new ground anchor that is finally a sensible weight that means my wife can lift it off the floor with ease.

We were all having a good laugh keeping water out and carrying out running repairs to the stand while the storm was in full flow battering us by that stage everyone was soaked. When the tree went from behind Jim's stand and landed on the 110 .It was like wake up call as to how much danger we were all in from the trees and everyone rushed to help the Trail-master people who's 110 had undoutably saved them by taking the full impacted of the falling tree.

We said are goodbyes after that as we were only up for the day. The site was a mess after the storm and I feel sorry for those that didn't get the help to keep there stands together as we saw three guys had climbed a tree to recover his stand.

Just got a phone call this morning to tell us my wife has won a set of Goodyear tyres Result my disco could do with a new set of road boots for the daily London commute

I was there with Si White yesterday and he got a call from home to say it'd been raining for an hour and the stream outside the house had risen by 2 and a half feet! I laughed but we went back to the car to get waterproofs. Just as we got back to the stands the heavens opened and within 30 seconds we were soaked through.

The ORRP contingent were "asked to leave" this morning following an evening of high spirits attracting the attention of the "Security team". :glare:

While they were occupied trying to stop people having a good time, the security apparently were unable to locate or stop the groups of local thieves roaming the site helping themselves. :angry:

Guest diesel_jim
, the security apparently were unable to locate or stop the groups of local thieves roaming the site helping themselves. :angry:

local thieves.... security......

one of the same from what i've seen of them!

Did anyone manage to get any good deals? I had tried all Saturday, but to no prevail?

Even tried "Any discount for the Marshals"....But couldnt get anywhere.

I guess the organisers have boosted the cost, for the companies to have a tradestand? Giving a knock on effect for the punters?

We had a great time, only down side was the trip home and getting caught in long tailbacks as soon as we got onto the M1. I set off before Si and he's still not made it home with the exhibition trailer.

I managed to sleep through ORRPs exploits - that's how noisy they were and we were less than 100 yards away - Billing security at its best!

Sarah

Home now! Blimey, that was a long drive - nearly six hours!

I had a fab time - it was nice to see & chat to so many of you - and sell the odd bit!

Stand prices had apparently gone up by 20% this year - but I didn't think the cost of ours was too spiteful (£660 + vat) compared to the other shows.

Next year I'll try to be with all the auto jumble stands near Mobile Storage Systems where there will be a bit of shelter and we are hoping to run a fitting bay for handbrakes!

I bought one of the 2500lb Champion winches for my quad with a radio control - which was an absolute bargain (Well done Champion). I'll put the RC transmitter in a more sturdy box - and it should be pretty good!

Have to go get some sleep now - it's only 5 days till Tony's!

Si

Stand prices had apparently gone up by 20% this year - but I didn't think the cost of ours was too spiteful (£660 + vat) compared to the other shows. Si

20% Thats pretty steep! Lets hope the event organiser dont get too greedy?

Well one minute it was roasting hot and sunny, then just as I decided to put my tent up it absolutely p**d down <_< I have photos somewhere but it's a bit late to be digging them out.

What I heard from the trailmasters chap was that the tree was rotten at the base, rather than pull out of the ground it just sorta snapped :o it sounded like health & safety people may be involved at some point to resolve that one as he was (understandably) not very impressed :(