Another Coolant Leak

Cyberfarmer

Hi to all!

I suffered another coolant leak on my td4 but this time its coming from the right side of the block (looking in front of the car). It looks like a blanking plug circular in shape underneath the egr pipe and attached/screwed to the block. Mine was rusted and it just burst. Has anyone suffered the same? How to replace it?

Thanks. Greatly appreciate it.

Alex

Philippines

Sounds like it could be a core plug which is intended to blow out if the coolant in the block freezes. Nowadays they rarely corrode as the corrosion inhibiter in the antifreeze prevents rusting. To renew either hammer in the centre and it should pop out or drill a hole and lever out. Clean up the block before fitting the new one and use a good sealant when fitting. Don't drill or knock in too far. Make sure that you use a 50% antifreeze mix even if there is no chance of freezing conditions or you will have insufficient anticorrosion chemicals in the engine coolant.

Sorry never changed one on a Freelander, or any other car for years (probably due to better antifreeze), if you can access it by removing other components then it should be easy enough to replace, if not then it will be the engine out. Have a look for the free of charge Rave download as this should show you how to.

I was able to change it without taking off the engine but now the problem is the engine is hard starting, only cranks. Prior to the leak the engine starts well.

Sorry never changed one on a Freelander, or any other car for years (probably due to better antifreeze), if you can access it by removing other components then it should be easy enough to replace, if not then it will be the engine out. Have a look for the free of charge Rave download as this should show you how to.