200tdi timing belt change

The time has come to change the belt on the defender.

I'm about to order the following:

timing belt - ETC8550

Tensioner - ERR2530

Water pump gasket -ERC5655

Is that all I need? Is it worth changing the crank bottom seal while I'm there (ERR6490) and whats the chances of the bottom pulley (damper - ERR751) being worn from the seal? Its got 163,000 miles on it, all original from what I know...

My brother has just done his 300tdi and has the pulling kit so I'm hoping it won't be such a major problem. Happy to do the work, just I must get all parts ordered so I can do it in one day (no decent supplier near me).

Thanks in advance chaps.

Jas

deepending on how much of a service you want to do whilst doing this I would change all these as standard

ETC4154 cover plate seal

ERR1553 front cover gasket.

ETC8550 - timing belt

ERR118 - Tensioner

ERR5655 - water pump gasket

ETC5064 are optional (camshaft oil seal)

ETC5065 are optional (crank seal oil seal)

I would probably get some more boltd for the water pump as well.. again depending on age and condition.

The time has come to change the belt on the defender.

I'm about to order the following:

timing belt - ETC8550

Tensioner - ERR2530

Water pump gasket -ERC5655

Is that all I need? Is it worth changing the crank bottom seal while I'm there (ERR6490) and whats the chances of the bottom pulley (damper - ERR751) being worn from the seal? Its got 163,000 miles on it, all original from what I know...

My brother has just done his 300tdi and has the pulling kit so I'm hoping it won't be such a major problem. Happy to do the work, just I must get all parts ordered so I can do it in one day (no decent supplier near me).

Thanks in advance chaps.

Jas

Use tensioner part ERR2530 the other number is no longer available. worth changing the alternator/water pump & Power steering belts while you got the chance, [they have to come off anyway].

Number 1 cylinder at TDC

Narrow slot in flywheel & 6 o'clock -- visible with torch through the bell housing wading plug hole

9.5mm shaft or drill bit shank to set the pump timing

Edited by western

hi Les, looked for them, but I can only find the 300tdi ones.

Can't find water pump gaskets either, but I'm sure I used that silicone engine sealant stuff last time when I put the new pump on.

ordered now, may do it at the weekend..

Jas

impact gun - -hell yeah..

best thing ever they are... :o) use the biggest you can get hold of.. I used a 1" socket one, instead of the mini 1/2" ones.. and boy that didn't take long... :)

impact gun

I used it succesfully on mine

impact gun - -hell yeah..

best thing ever they are... :o) use the biggest you can get hold of.. I used a 1" socket one, instead of the mini 1/2" ones.. and boy that didn't take long... :)

oh what a shame. looks like im gunan have to buy a new toy :D heh

cheers

instaed of using a drill for the wedge to lock timing gear, i alway mark each individual gear against the casing and the adjacent cog just to check,

when all put back together with the new belt turn the engine over with a ratchet on the bottom pulley to make sure no teeth have moved.

instaed of using a drill for the wedge to lock timing gear, i alway mark each individual gear against the casing and the adjacent cog just to check,

when all put back together with the new belt turn the engine over with a ratchet on the bottom pulley to make sure no teeth have moved.

Yup, thats what I usually do when I have changed belts on other motors. Gonna do it next weekend. Was gonna do it this week end but all the BBQ and home brew seems to be getting in the way!

Jas

• 2 weeks later...