--=== Can DIsco 4 xs handle trip to Japan from UK? ===--

Arek

I am planing a road trip from London to Japan. Driving through europe, middle east, china then arriving in Japan. Then back with few mates and boot fool of adventure gear (tents, paragliders, etc...) So can the Land Rover Discovery 4x4 3.0 SDV6 XS 5dr handle it? What should I bear in mind and what spare parts should I bring with me (cam belt, oil etc)?

Thanks

Interesting choice of vehicle, but no reason why it shouldn't be able to make it, providing you treat it with the respect it deserves.

As for spare parts... errrr... I'd have thought that most stuff on a D4 would be beyond the scope of most DIY mechanics and that if it does break down it's gonna be a main dealer job to get it going again thanks to the need for special tools and computer diagnostic equipment.

If I were doing a trip like that I'd be thinking about a vehicle that better suits Bush Mechanics, i.e. something that can be repaired by a local farmer with a big hammer!

Dan

If I were doing a trip like that I'd be thinking about a vehicle that better suits Bush Mechanics, i.e. something that can be repaired by a local farmer with a big hammer!

Dan

What best Bush Mechanics 4x4 car that can handle such epic journey with ease? Though LL Disco was the top dog here.

A carnet is a temporary import license you need for each country you are passing through. Most of Africa is about 4 times the value however I think Eygpt is still at 6 times. China is the most expensive. You can get a carnet from the RAC.

A carnet is a temporary import license you need for each country you are passing through. Most of Africa is about 4 times the value however I think Eygpt is still at 6 times. China is the most expensive. You can get a carnet from the RAC.

Why I Need import licence? I am just passing that country for few days? Have camp in forest, stay at hotel, fly off a hill... Drink in bar...

The D4 will be perfect. If you look at the D3 forum you'll see people throw their motors at the scenery all the time. Morocco/Tunisia seem to be their favourite.

On the D3 the front belt (serp) which runs everything like on a PUMA. If that goes it's normaly the idler that takes it out. So there's 2 things. A set of break pads, I know the D3 eats pads so assume the D4 is the same. And then you go down the road of normal spares for a trip. Oils, hoses or self amalgamating tape. And a big grin on your face.

If you speak to a company called BBS in Cyprus they will sell you a box of tricks that will allow you to remap your car in seconds and remove it in seconds but more importantly it will allow you to read fault codes and clear them. So allowing you to keep rolling.

Don't be frightened of all the electronics. Remember a few years ago when the TD5 came out. Everyone was scared of that. THey soon realised if looked after it's a mighty fine engine.

Friends of mine drove to Japan recently, missed out China by going through Mongolia and Russia. Details on http://www.anenjo.be/index.php?q=node/8

You need a Carnet to travel to many countries as it acts as a guarantee that if you fail to take the vehicle out of the country you are visiting, any import duty will be paid. The RAC acts as import duty gaurantors in the UK, and if you google RAC Carnet you will find all you need to know, and can check wich countries the Carnet covers. If the car is registered in another country, you need to speak with the local Carnet authority.

You must pay a deposit on the Carnet, and this can be very high depending on the countries you are visiting - sometimes it's best to take a very good older car.

Don't see why a D4 wouldn't get you there, it wouldn't be my choice though as I wouldn't trust the electronics and I wouldn't know what the hell to do if the engine or suspension had problems. Nor would most mechanics outside central Europe.

As long as there's more than one car and you take a good rope, you'll make it somewhere though.

I think the bigger issue with the D4 is that it's a complex vehicle so there is more to understand/work out if goes wrong. If you are technically minded and can understand diagnostics computers & how modern electronically controlled engines/vehicle systems work then it should be pretty reliable (since it'll be a pretty new car) and make the journey with ease.

If you are more like the "average" Land Rover owner who panics if something has an electric wire going to it, then you are better off with an older or more basic vehicle which may be less luxurious/reliable but be simpler to fix and the common faults are well known.

The (separate) and more general subject of expedition preparation, planning, vehicle maintenance etc. has been covered many many times. The Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide by Tom Sheppard is an excellent book on the subject.

I'd be more worried that a disco 4 says in a loud voice with flashing neon lights rob me i'm loaded! I don't think the truck would be a problem but that's a whole load of the wrong sort of attention. Bear in mind some of the countries your going through people only earn a pittance.

Mike

Mo makes a very good point... A trip like this requires a huge amount of planning and preparation. It seems that you are in the initial "ideas" phase of planning at the moment but I fear that once you take off the rose-tinted glasses your plans may change somewhat. If you just wing it, you will probably come unstuck (or should that be stuck??) pretty quick.

I for one would love to hear more about your plans, the preparation and eventually the trip... and if you are prepared to do your own research and share your findings then I'm sure those with knowledge will be more than happy to share it here.

If you are more like the "average" Land Rover owner who panics if something has an electric wire going to it, then you are better off with an older or more basic vehicle which may be less luxurious/reliable but be simpler to fix and the common faults are well known.

:lol: thats me!

The (separate) and more general subject of expedition preparation, planning, vehicle maintenance etc. has been covered many many times. The Vehicle Dependent Expedition Guide by Tom Sheppard is an excellent book on the subject.

Check out some of the overlanding forums too, such as Horizons Unlimited.

One thing to note in the book is how little stuff the author actually carries, in all the photos he's using fairly standard vehicles without loads of bolt-on junk, and travelling very light. A lot of people have real trouble with that sort of thing.

Any fool can rough it. It all depends on the level of comfort that you want when you go native. Me, I like big tents, persian rugs and little people to wave big fans to keep me cool :D

Likewise, on top of persian rugs and fun swinging hot girls I like air con, bowls full of fruit and other local delicacies, LCD 37 Inch tv and fridge to cool the beers. All powered by portable super compact and light generator. (any recommendations for good portable compact and light generator that can power all those things on the go, in the middle of Afghanistan?) thanks