TD5 water leak. Any pointers??

I have my first TD5 and after a couple of months it appears to have developed a water leak that seems to be from the water pump region. Temperature still normal so I haven't cooked it but it took a few litres to top up when I noticed it dripping out the bottom. While stood over the weekend it had lost 2 litres again and was stood on a big wet patch so its running out pretty fast somewhere. Has anyone had something similar? Is it a know issue and if so what is the likely cause/fix.

Thanks in advance

Mark

I have my first TD5 and after a couple of months it appears to have developed a water leak that seems to be from the water pump region. Temperature still normal so I haven't cooked it but it took a few litres to top up when I noticed it dripping out the bottom. While stood over the weekend it had lost 2 litres again and was stood on a big wet patch so its running out pretty fast somewhere. Has anyone had something similar? Is it a know issue and if so what is the likely cause/fix.

Thanks in advance

Mark

Hi Mark,

Not sure if this helps but mine leaked from a failed water pump o-ring, changed the pump whilst I was "in there" as it's a bit of a pig to do as you have to remove the centrifuge.

HTH's,

Mick.

Hi Mick

thanks for reply. I am of the same opinion. I tried squeezing the top hose and you can hear it blowing and sucking from somewhere but not clear. With engine running it is dripping very fast from the bottom of the water pump mounting but you can't see where it comes from. When brother squezzed hose for me I could see a little bit of leakage from the water pump O-ring on the outside but I guess the bulk of the water is coming from the back side of the pump which I can't see. Anyway, it all points to the waterpump gasket (which i gather is an O-ring). Like you say, I think I might as well change the pump as I assume it comes with the O-ring as part of the kit??

Thanks

Mark

Here we go:

post-10578-0-82395700-1310332205_thumb.jpg post-10578-0-74204900-1310332209_thumb.jpg

I notice it says remove turbocharger in those, surely you don't have to remove the turbo to change the water pump? :huh:

removing the turbo off a td5 isn't that hard. DP bolts are accessible and turbo to mani bolts are ok aswell. a good soaking in release agent first though.

Just to finish up this thread. I removed the water pump to find the seals must have been shot as there was water staining from the lower drain hole behind the PS pump. It was losing about 2 litres in 10 miles! So I tried removing the pump with everything in situ. Obviously removed as many hoses and pipes as possible to start with. Unbolted the Air Con compressor and with careful manoeuvring managed to get it back behind the turbo well out of the way. Managed to get the water pump caver off but no amount of wiggling would allow the pump itself to come past the centrifugal filter. At this point I still wasn't sure where the leak was from so decided I needed to check the O-ring seal where the PAS/water pump/Air con bracket joins the engine block. So I removed the drive belt, the idler puller and dropped the PAS pump off. This allowed access to the 6 bolts holding the bracket on, which was removed to the bench. I am very glad I did this. The seal was fine, but the new (Bearmach) water pump did not fit. This was obvious on the bench but I fancy if I had been trying to fit the pump in situ it would have been a right ballache and may of ended in damage. So off to town for a Q&H pump which dropped in perfectly. Rebuilt the pump into the bracket on the bench and then stuck it all back together.

All done & no more leaks.

Hopefully this will help someone else in future.

Mark