Rapier Trailer information?

I'm after some information on the Rapier trailers like this one:

57224.jpg

I'm at the designing stage of building a teardrop/grasshopper type offroad trailer/caravan, one of these seems like it would make a good base?

Dimensions - Overall length, hitch - axle, overall width, track, body length, distance between wheelboxes. Good diagram of the chassis would be great :D.

Weight - Unladen, max, just chassis,

Am I correct in saying the ride height is adjustable?

I assume it will sit level behind a 90?

Ross,

You can buy the manual for them from ebay for a couple of quid which give you all the information you need, One thing you need to be careful of is there are a couple of types of trailer this size that look similar to the rapier one but were build for towing behind Bedford's etc with a larger track and different PCD which is the big give away there is also the bridging trailer which is very similar chassis to the Rapier set up of suspension etc. Withams are just about to have their latest tender sale which would be a good place to start.

If you need a second pair of eyes or someone to tow it for you, just let me know.

Jason.

Ross,

I also just remembered that Will C mate just brought a Rapier trailer from which he had the box it may be worth popping him a PM.

Jason.

Ross,

You can buy the manual for them from ebay for a couple of quid which give you all the information you need, One thing you need to be careful of is there are a couple of types of trailer this size that look similar to the rapier one but were build for towing behind Bedford's etc with a larger track and different PCD which is the big give away there is also the bridging trailer which is very similar chassis to the Rapier set up of suspension etc. Withams are just about to have their latest tender sale which would be a good place to start.

If you need a second pair of eyes or someone to tow it for you, just let me know.

Jason.

Thanks for the pointer Jason, I didnt come across that in my search. I've asked to check that it covers the Rapier ones and not just the normal wide or narrow track.

Yes, I'm aware of the larger trailers. I always thought the rapier trailers were the Bedford lorry sized ones too!

Thank you also for the offer. Not got anywhere to store one so buying and building is a way away!

thats a standard rapier trailer which will go on any 90/110 with no probs.from what i can remember they are a 2ton trailer but will take a lot more.we had to put more air in the tyres there was so much gear in the back when we were in Kosovo (dodgy i know but thats the forces for you).

they are the same width as a normal sankey (track),the bed is only about

5ft wide but it is about 7ft long.

hope this helps any.

For something like these I would be looking at a pop-top rather than the tear drop style caravan. Have a look at the Aussie camper trailers too. Some of those rigs are brilliant for space usage.

I would also look at replacing the bed with Aluminium to save weight and reduce corrosion.

For example, like this page:

aluminium_camper.JPG

camper_rear.jpg

Thanks for the pointer Jason, I didnt come across that in my search. I've asked to check that it covers the Rapier ones and not just the normal wide or narrow track.

Yes, I'm aware of the larger trailers. I always thought the rapier trailers were the Bedford lorry sized ones too!

Thank you also for the offer. Not got anywhere to store one so buying and building is a way away!

The manual only covers the normal sankeys, not the rapier :(.

Yeah, the Ozzies do have some great camping trailers, but I just like the tear drop style trailers :D.

The plan would be to take some form of sankey (either wide track or Rapier), take the body off completely, stretch the chassis in front of the axle and then build the teardrop body :).

Something along the lines of this:

sm-00002.jpg

I have one of those trailers, they were originally designed to be towed by a 109GS to carry 9 missiles and is 1 ton capacity. It sits a bit tail down behind a 90/110. The height isn't adjustable, it has a two set heights, the lower one was for air transport/storage and is towed at the higher setting.

You won't find a manual for them anywhere but vintagemvmanuals on ebay sell the FV2420 one ton bridging trailer manual which is basically the same trailer with no body. The FV2420 trailers come up on ebay now and then and will be a lot cheaper than the reload trailer which are typically £450 - 650 (Withams wanted £1150 for ones with a tilt)

The load bed is 8' x 4', they are very well made and typically way over-engineered. Very nose heavy and they don't come with a jockey wheel either, you will fit one! The wheel size is 7.50x16 and the braking system is hydraulic.

If you really want more dimensions I could have a measure up and maybe scan a page from the FV2420 manual.

I have one of those trailers, they were originally designed to be towed by a 109GS to carry 9 missiles and is 1 ton capacity. It sits a bit tail down behind a 90/110. The height isn't adjustable, it has a two set heights, the lower one was for air transport/storage and is towed at the higher setting.

You won't find a manual for them anywhere but vintagemvmanuals on ebay sell the FV2420 one ton bridging trailer manual which is basically the same trailer with no body. The FV2420 trailers come up on ebay now and then and will be a lot cheaper than the reload trailer which are typically £450 - 650 (Withams wanted £1150 for ones with a tilt)

The load bed is 8' x 4', they are very well made and typically way over-engineered. Very nose heavy and they don't come with a jockey wheel either, you will fit one! The wheel size is 7.50x16 and the braking system is hydraulic.

If you really want more dimensions I could have a measure up and maybe scan a page from the FV2420 manual.

A scan from the manual would be really useful :). Probably something to put in the tech archive.

If you don't mind... dimensions I need to know before I continue building in 3d are:

Hitch to axle centre line

Max width of the Chassis

distance between inside edges of the tyres.

Do either of you with one know how much they weigh? or better still, how much the chassis is likely to weigh?

Thank you for the offer David, I may take you up on that at a later date :).

Ok, got manual in front of me, I'll scan a couple of pages tomorrow and get any dims that differ to the bridging trailer.

Some figures for the bridging trailer.

ULW 340kg (reload trailer is probably half as much again)

Height to top of chassis rails (unladen) 0.71m

Centre hitch to centre wheel 2.95m

Track (centre to centre of wheels) 1.73m

OK, correction first, trailer sits tail down on MY 110 as I have a 2" lift :blush:

Dims from my partly loaded trailer.

Hitch height 610

Height to top chassis rail 680

Centre hitch to front face first crossmember (and inside face of loadbed) 1050

Centre hitch to centre of wheel 2300

Overall width (to end of front and rear crossmembers) 1800

Overall length between outside faces of front and rear crossmembers 2355

Inside dimensions of loadbed (overhangs rear crossmember) 2400x1200

Width of loadbed is also width available between tyres, they run pretty close.

Width over outside faces of main chassis rails 895

Just noticed, on the bridging trailer, the wheels sit further back on the chassis whereas they are central on the reload trailer. All the mechanical bits are the same though.

Just corrected a couple of the above dimensions.

• 3 weeks later...