Late Series 3 brake master cylinder

diesel66

Hi all, I want to update the brakes on my 109 - presently single circuit servo assisted. I'm going to convert it to dual circuit but I can't clarify which pipe goes where! Rather which port on the master cylinder corresponds to which circuit? Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Pipe nearest the servo is for the rear brakes, outermost to the front. There's a brake failure valve in there as well, but most people do away with it.

Les.

Mine was built by LR with the pipes crossing over, so the back end of the MC (nearest the servo) does the front brakes and the front end of the MC operates the rear brakes. The cross-over happened on exiting the PWDA valve on the chassis. I copied the system when I rebuilt the vehicle and it works perfectly with very effective braking. I don't know which configuration is normal, though.

I copied the original set up on the assumption that it was mainly hydraulic pressure in the front circuit that pressed the rear circuit's piston forward, with the intermediate spring there as a back-up to transfer pedal pressure if the front circuit sprung a leak. From the sectional diagrams of the MC, it appeared as if the front end of the MC had a smaller volume capacity than the servo end, but these diagrams aren't always well scaled.

The front piston is moved by the fluid between the 2 pistons - which operates the back (in cylinder terms) circuit. The springs are weak and really serve just to keep everything in the right place - after all with a servo on the back and say 70lb on the pedal, a mechanical advantage of say 4:1 on the pedal mechanism and a 1.9:1 servo you're looking at about 530 lb push on the piston. (These are not accurate figures - just approximations)

The front piston is moved by the fluid between the 2 pistons - which operates the back (in cylinder terms) circuit. The springs are weak and really serve just to keep everything in the right place - after all with a servo on the back and say 70lb on the pedal, a mechanical advantage of say 4:1 on the pedal mechanism and a 1.9:1 servo you're looking at about 530 lb push on the piston. (These are not accurate figures - just approximations)

That makes sense - I should have thought of the forces and tininess of the spring a bit more deeply...