A Fab Day Out - Not OT in any way ......

Er :blink: One of my "More Unusual" Megasquirt Conversions..........

From a call some months ago I supplied a Major in the REME Museum some 'Megasquirt' bits, have spoken to him

on and off over the months and apart from being a very very clever chap indeed, he has been trying to get a Metor M120

HD Recovery Tank 'running' - when it last 'died' around 1992, and has not run since.

This is his latest "Project" since

Parts are no longer around, step up Megasquirt :D

post-22-0-55468800-1310755631_thumb.jpg post-22-0-10928600-1310755650_thumb.jpg

So, here is the "Engine" a V12 - Petrol (are you listening Off Road Toad :P ) and being a icckle V12,

and being its not fully tuned yet, so its limited to around the 700 BHP level, ...and has lovely original fishtail exhausts :moglite:

You think I am kidding ? - Nope, ........see the laptop in the pics below :lol:

post-22-0-22485100-1310755949_thumb.jpg post-22-0-04861100-1310755972_thumb.jpg

There is so much **** talked about winches and motors,and whats best ..... note this :

post-22-0-65470100-1310756016_thumb.jpg

Thats a small Jaguar 3.8 engine that is, and THAT is the motor for this babys winch - all 50 tons and 400 ft

of 2 inch cable with self cotton reeling layering :)...No twin XP Gigglepound winch here you'll see - but we digress

post-22-0-68451700-1310756171_thumb.jpg

Oh would you look at that - exhaust smoke, 700 BHP F Knows how much torque, needs tuning up :rofl: and will be going out with it to

help with exactly that, beats a Wildcat which was my last wet dream tune

A fab day, the noise is still in my ears (Wish I had taken a video camera and not the camera) and loverly to hear in running, this is being restored

to a fully functional Tank unit for the Army museum, I count my self fortunate not only to have been involved in the project but even more so

to be allowed on to site and spent time with the Major today, update on tuning day, and yes I will have video :D

Great way to earn a living today :rofl: .....I even got paid some money too :rofl:

So, just how much do you hate me ? :P

Nige

I hate you - but I hate the Major more... What a dream of a job he has!

It pleases me greatly that even in these hard times, somebody recognises the importance of preserving at least some of the past and (since this kind of restoration can never be cheap) is prepared to pay for it...

smile.gif

You can find a lot more about this tank ( conqueror ) and others that they have on the Historic military vehicle forum. The guys at the reme museum have restored quite a few including centurions and shermans and quite a few non tracked vehicles also. I may be intouch about the mega squirt set up for our AVRE 165 centurion at work, which runs the same engine. Our restoration was slightly easier than theres as we had all the parts to start off with plus three other centurions just in case we needed some spares!!

Jason

You can find a lot more about this tank ( conqueror ) and others that they have on the Historic military vehicle forum. The guys at the reme museum have restored quite a few including centurions and shermans and quite a few non tracked vehicles also. I may be intouch about the mega squirt set up for our AVRE 165 centurion at work, which runs the same engine. Our restoration was slightly easier than theres as we had all the parts to start off with plus three other centurions just in case we needed some spares!!

Jason

B@st@rds the pair of you :P

Jason

Wasn't the AVRE a 155. The size of the gun barrel when used for bridge demolitions when the primary method failed??

Wasn't the AVRE a 155. The size of the gun barrel when used for bridge demolitions when the primary method failed??

The AVRE was available with 105mm and 165mm, we have the 165mm version. We also have a MK1 ARV and a MK2 Arv and also an unknown cent that is believed to have been a prototype. Did I mention we also have an Abbot SPG, several FV432 apc's, and a Tatra kolos 8x8 if any of the above get stuck :P:lol:

I had the pleasure of seeing the Centurion recovery tank in action last year in November at Slab Common, it made short work of towing this buried Zil out. My Gaz has a 5 ton PTO driven winch and it was dragging the Gaz and another Zil attached to the back towards the casualty.

Centurion recovery is at 2:43

I hate you - but I hate the Major more... What a dream of a job he has!

It pleases me greatly that even in these hard times, somebody recognises the importance of preserving at least some of the past and (since this kind of restoration can never be cheap) is prepared to pay for it...

smile.gif

Can't agree more :). In these times it would be all to easy to just cast them aside :)

Well spoted Ross.

[spotter mode]Parked between a couple of 101s I reckon.

[/spotter mode]

I think so too :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...