new discovery

paulsfj

Hi all need a bit of advise

i wont to get a discovery but witch one ,i only wont to spend about £1000-1500 so this will be a 95-96 witch is ok i don't mind a bit off work, i can weld and handy with a spanner ,

but witch one a 300tdi or a 200tdi ?????

A 95-96 will be a 300Tdi, the 200s ended production in I think March 1994 ish. Condition is more important than age or what engine is in it, you might find a mint late model 200Tdi which is a perfectly good vehicle.

Make sure you leave some money for emergency...you will need it...spend a grand on one and spend some on servicing...cam belt etc, maybe a few new bits....going to your max budget on the vehicle alone may be risky...that was my personal findings...

afternoon,

I bough mine for £750 1996 300 tdi 3dr but it needed

new boot floor, I didn't have the time to do this myself so that was £600 but I got the rera brake lines and the rear axle ball joint replaced at the same time.

brakes all round - parts £120

Service inc all oils £150

Cambelt kit £75

Alarm plip £40

Ignition barrel £30

track rod ends x3 £30 plus tracking

it still needs 2 front tyres BGF £130 each

Steering box ~£50 2nd hand

Tail door lock overhaul springs - £12

there are a few indicators of future holes appearing in the inner wings but I will do them before the winter - hopefully

Syncro on second has gone but an oil change and being a bit more careful has sorted that till the clutch goes. £££

so after all of that I still love it!! Mine is a little scruffy on the outside but it does mean I'm not fussed about a few trees or generally interfacing with nature. I spent about £300 on general recovery gear last weekend after a close call green laning solo (yes I know).

If anything happened to mine I would buy another, although I would lift the carpets first this time.

Have a really good look at the whole car, there are plenty of buyer guides about on here and elsewhere.

cheers

Jim

The 300Tdi engine is a slightly better engine to work on in my opinion, but the 200Tdi seems to be a more reliable engine. I am sure people will view this the other way perhaps, but everyone's experiences of Land Rovers are different.

Rust is the biggest problem really, before engine problems. Check the boot floor, the body mounts, outriggers on the chassis, if it is a 5 door then check the wheel arches inside the door as that will rust too. Inner wheel arches and battery box in the engine bay can also be a problem.

Check all the gears and hi/lo and diff lock. HI/lo and diff lock rarely actually go wrong, but may be seized through lack of use. Usually an easy fix but a bargaining tool. Check the wheel bearings for play as this could also be the swivel bearings.

Knowing what I know now about Discovery's I would buy a 200Tdi because I would hope it would be cheaper than a 300Tdi, but I do prefer the 300Tdi to work on. I just sold my 300Tdi for £1200 (M reg) so I would imagine you can get one cheaper than that. I had done everything on it though, including a new head, so the bloke won't have the same problems that I had in buying a Disco.

Rust is the major enemy.......lift carpets, check they are not damp (or even wet!) and the underlay.

Always test drive and listen for knocks and groans.

You have recognised that for this money you will probably have to take on a few problems but don't fall in love. Also bear in mind that any modifications will probably cost in the insurance premium.....HTH