larger tyres for classic voque alloys

chazsmash

Hi, looking to get some info on a larger tyre size to fit the vogue alloys on my 1989 3.5 efi, it is in the process of being lifted 50mm( realise that doesn't mean its necessarily going to be two inches higher afterwards!), have got a couple of sets of the alloys one with decent road tyres, and a set of disco steels with decent road tyres on also so looking for a decent size of relatively chunky tyres to fill the arches up a bit and be useable enough for a bit of light trialling and a bit of pay and play, am pretty clueless with sizes required to be a useable fit without fouling and rubbing on full lock, not to worried about the speedo going out or the gearing being overly effected as have the road tyres for any longer journeys" once i have saved up for the fuel"!!!!

Any info will be much appreciated, cheers.

The Disco steels are narrower than LR alloys, if I remember correclty.

LR alloys and disco steels are 7J wide, the same width. I know there are people in our local LR club who run 235/85 R16's Insa Special tracks. They have a lift too, but I don't know how much, or if they have had to modify the arches at all.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will give a better answer for you.

With 50mm lift and without doing any trimming to the bodywork the largest size you can go is 245/75x16 if your prepared to do some light trimming to the rear arches and front bumper endcaps you can get 235/85x16. You can fit 265/75x16 not quite as tall as the 235's but a little wider but you will probably loose some steering lock, you may also need to fit a flared arch kit. I found a lot depends on how much flex you have on your suspension as to how much you will need to trim the body work.

Also bear in mind that different tyre patterns make a big difference. For example a 265 Insa Turbo Special trac is a LOT wider than a 265 BFG mud.

HTH

Brookers

Hi, looking to get some info on a larger tyre size to fit the vogue alloys on my 1989 3.5 efi, it is in the process of being lifted 50mm( realise that doesn't mean its necessarily going to be two inches higher afterwards!),

Your right it is more than likely to be more than 50 mm

Ali

I fitted a lift and its 50mm from new so if your springs are shagged they will lift it by more.I lifted a LSE 50mm spring and 50mm body then you can fit up to 35" tyres without them foulng the plastic eyebrow areches.I wouldn't bother with LR wheels as the steering lock will be carp the bigger the tires and spacers are more expensing then a set of mod rims.