109 CSW Roll cage / sill bars build thread

I thought I'd start a new thread on the build of my roll cage - which will be quite a lazy build from my end as the truck is ~200 miles away in the hands of Dan, AKA Dirtydiesel, who is doing the actual fabrication.

Initial ideas were in this thread:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=68317

Basically I want a cage that will keep the car straight when playing, keep the bodywork off the trees, and if something bad happens on the road/at speed, hopefully the occupants walk away. The trade off is I don't want it to be a climbing frame on wheels, I don't want to add too much weight (esp. high up), and I don't want to compromise the usefulness of the truck.

As well as the cage, some rock slider sills are going to be added which follow the lines of standard Series 3 sills, so hopefully in keeping with the sympathetic classic restoration.

So, for those who have avoided me thus far, the truck currently looks like this:

eddie_flex_brox.jpg

Last weekend saw it delivered to Dan's place, ready for some prep before the exciting business of bending toob begins. I think Dan's looking forward to cutting holes in my car a little bit too much :unsure:

Arches were from some rabble on eBay who claimed to be the suppliers to the likes of paddocks - mine were cheap 'cos they had minor cosmetic damage (small scratch or two on them), which was soon sorted with the application of mud. :P

Well i've started, whilst looking around as to the best solution for the sills and mounting points for the cage i spotted a little crack appearing around the n/s/r spring mount

155971998_photobucket_17682_.jpg

2 mins later the outrigger fell off to reveil a sediment map to everywhere the 109 has been!

155971998_photobucket_17683_.jpg

155971998_photobucket_17684_.jpg

155971998_photobucket_17685_.jpg

155971998_photobucket_17694_.jpg

155971998_photobucket_17695_.jpg

The top of the mount will be braced into the sill outrigger, when a small fortunes worth of steel arrives.

Still waiting for the box and tube to arrive so i thought i'd cut up some of the pristine panelwork :lol:

From this,

155971998_photobucket_18074_.jpg

To this,

155971998_photobucket_18053_.jpg

155971998_photobucket_18088_.jpg

155971998_photobucket_18092_.jpg

In attempt to keep the weight to a minimum i've only used 2.5mm to make the bumper, the ends are braced back to the chassis with 30mm tube and i'm going to fully box them in and web them as much as possible.

Nice work there Dan , as always ;) . I made my front bumper out of 2.5mm in much the same way with a centre section wrapped round the winch mount with bolted on ends outside the chassis.

post-1339-0-53082100-1311317017_thumb.jpg

post-1339-0-60916600-1311317084_thumb.jpg

Looking forward to seeing the cage coming along mate

Hope you are all well btw

Cheers

Steveb

I've added another horizontal web to the bumper ends then fully boxed them in.

Each bumper end weighs about 4kg, nearly the same as the weight of mud/sand that's come out of the outriggers :P

2011-07-23_15-18-56_554.jpg

2011-07-23_15-18-46_379.jpg

2011-07-23_16-29-00_750.jpg

The bumper end are then plated into the winch tray with more 2.5mm, while i was there i added a couple of recovery points and deleted johns garden fab'd special.

IMGP1323.jpg

IMGP1322.jpg

IMGP1325.jpg

With the bumper out of the way i cracked on with the sills, they're made out of 70x70x4 box. as are the front and back outriggers for them, the center outrigger is 50x50x3.

All cut to length on rage255 that disappointingly doesn't cut that square on stuff this big :(

155971998_photobucket_18816_.jpg

2011-07-24_13-32-04_214.jpg

IMGP1305.jpg

IMGP1312.jpg

IMGP1308.jpg

Finished article!

IMGP1316.jpg

IMGP1321.jpg

IMGP1317.jpg

IMGP1320.jpg

Now to do the other side, after I've plated up the mess behind the old bulkhead outrigger :rolleyes:

Crikey, I go away for a weekend and this happens :blink: that's looking a bit good. I have to say I couldn't really envisage what to do with it front-bumper wise but that's looking pukka. Anyone would think you'd been planning this for some time :ph34r:

I see I've now got a full set of "DD" style outriggers as well :)

Winch is indeed on the list of jobs, hopefully this year.

Excellent stuff Dan/DirtyDiesel, some useful inspiration pics there - even for those of us who have coilers...

All cut to length on rage255 that disappointingly doesn't cut that square on stuff this big :(

Although I haven't used to cut stuff 'that' big, I've struggled to cut stuff square with mine too, but I guess spending some time with the square is the answer

Excellent stuff Dan/DirtyDiesel, some useful inspiration pics there - even for those of us who have coilers...

Although I haven't used to cut stuff 'that' big, I've struggled to cut stuff square with mine too, but I guess spending some time with the square is the answer

I'm assuming your using the original 'universal' blade the saw came with, it won't last long just cutting steel. I replaced mine with a mild steel specific blade, it's for the Rage 230mm circular saw but the hole diameter is the same and the RPM is pretty close too. Being 25mm smaller means it has a reduced capacity but I can still cut 75mm box comfortably and it cuts straighter than the universal blade.

Its always nice to see a DD fabrication thread, great attention to detail as usual, excellent work.