109 CSW Roll cage / sill bars build thread

You clearly aren't familiar with Dan's fabrications then, that's a fine adjustment stick at best.

:hysterical:

Read back - it's joined behind the alpine window ;)

sorry, i couldn't see that in the photo. :glare: another question, aren't you worried about it being more top heavy?

suppose it doesn't matter now you have a roll cage......... :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::moglite:

Eventfull evening! fell off the roof then had a little fire :o no damage done just the last peice of pristine headlining in the bin :P

Series headlinings definatly aren't fire retardent, i think the adhesive is petrol based!!!

I did get some work done though, Connection between rear hoop and the roof rack,

155971998_photobucket_35772_.jpg

155971998_photobucket_35770_.jpg

another question, aren't you worried about it being more top heavy?

The track width is wider than standard by a fair way, plus drivetrain is a bit lower & further back than standard and the running gear is a bit heavier so it's possible it's started off better than standard for rollover angle and this has brought it back the other way. There's a trade-off for everything, the truck isn't for tearing about like an idiot trying to roll it, if I end up on my roof I'll be (almost) as p***ed off as if I didn't have the cage.

The more common scenario I've found so far is that I back out of things to avoid mangling it against trees, either with tight turns or leaning the roof against them, so the sills & roof bars should solve that one.

What tube and size are you using ?

Have you packed it with sand to stop distorsion just wondering if this really helps?

Ash

The front and rear hoops are made from 48mmx3.6mm strongbox 235, the majority of the roofrack is 42mmx3.2mm erw the smaller triangulated bars are 33mmx2.6mm erw

Sand packing is only needed on exhaust sized tubing

as long as the formers in your cheap former are a good fit to the material you are using you should get decent results, bear in mind that the cheaper benders tend to be for pipe bending, so will only give decent results on pipe ie for roll cages 40mm bore bs1387 medium (also known as blue band)

Mmmm.... i think that video should be re-captioned sand packing for the lazy.

The way i was taught was to weld a thin cap over one end of the tube then pack the tube very very thoroughly with kiln dried sand, filling the tube flush then weld another cap over the other end, then dent both caps in as far as they will go packing the sand in even tighter. then the tube was ready to bend, using this technique 180 bends in 16gauge 3" od stainless is possible with negligable deformation.

So not much good for 50.2 x 3 mm CDs would the bender you have work with this and what sort of price are they

Ash

I don't have a 50mm former for mine and i don't think you'll find any center push will give excelent results on cds, or even if you can find one that has the correct die sizes.

For cds you really need a draw bender, something like a jd2? http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c1d6edadb

i dont know if you know, buy yobbos have graffiti your roll cage and bumper!!! and it seams to be the older generation! :moglite:

Honestly, some people - you ask them to do one thing and they get all carried away :rolleyes:

Or to put it another way - bl**dy hell, I wasn't expecting paint to be thrown in! Ta very muchly!

Are you gonna make it for KORC next weekend? Hoping to bring the yellow peril out as well :blink:

Fraid not - Dan has gone above & beyond to get this done as it is, I'd rather it take longer and come out right than rush for the sake of a play day. The truck needs a coat of looking at before I bring it out for the winter anyway.

Honestly, some people - you ask them to do one thing and they get all carried away :rolleyes:

Or to put it another way - bl**dy hell, I wasn't expecting paint to be thrown in! Ta very muchly!

Given that it's taken you 5 years to not fit the winch, i thought i better paint the cage lest it rust away before you got around to it. :P

And in all seriousness there is no better time to paint the cage than when it's off.

I just need to find the paint code for limestone white to go over the etch primer.