P38 4.6 dse information required....

V8defender90

Hi guys, Firstly this info is for a mate who has gone in the burger van trade and has asked me about the P38 4.6 dse (converted) for towing this trailer. He has been made aware that the auto boxes arent great for towing (I dont know). The trailers weight is about 1 1\2 ton. I have recommended him to get the diesel due to the towing. what do you guys think. Any info would be appreciated. Cheers in advance.

A trailer of 1,5 ton is peanuts for any P38a, be it a 2.5DSE diesel or a 4.6HSE V8.

When using heavier trailers, the extra power (and torque!) of the V8 will make for a nicer drive. The autobox is fine, it's a ZF and quite reliable. With the diesel, it does result in considerable less economy though. I got 9l/100km empty, 12-13l/100km with cartailer on my manual, friends with an autobox got about 12l/100km empty and +15l/100km when towing. With the 4.6 (or 4.0) the trailer doesn't seem to make that much difference (18-21l/100km), possibly due to the fact that the V8 often leads to a more sporty dirving style when not towing. :lol:

sorry guys for the confusion, just realised my mistake. It was the 4.6 HSE on gas, but he has found one which is a 2.5 DSE, which has got endless amounts of receipts for bits and bobs. I think he said it was a 1998 model (r or s plate) and they chap wants £2000 for it, with 3 months MOT but no Tax, is this expensive or cheap? What are the common faults to look out for?

Regards

MAtt.

Loads of info on the RR forum & RangeRover.net (I think, maybe rangerovers.net or some variation).

Main issues with them are electrical, which results in a double-whammy as they're quite complex so when something goes wrong the average mechanic/LR owner's hair will catch fire, panic, mis-diagnose the fault, spend loads of money on changing the wrong bits and end up with a total write-off.

I understand the BECM's (main source of pain) can be opened & repaired if you can operate a soldering iron, and the info is out there on the net.

Another problem is that *ANY* engine fault with the V8 will be "diagnosed" by the experts as liner slip / cracked block and again the car will end up a write-off.

On the flipside, they're a hell of a lot of car for the money.

I have a 4lt V8 on LPG I tow 3.5t at least a few times a month and its good as gold I know a 4.6 is better but uses a little more fuel.I was a massive sceptic but not a convert and my next car will be a V8D3 and I will convert that as wellBECM's can be reconed for £200 if you have a good fitter or machanic that knows P38's there good as gold..If it has 18" rims change them for 16" or 19" as they drive much better for some bazar reason.I have done 35k in the last 14months in mine and after a few issues early on its been fine.