Land Rover to return to the water

LR90

the quad boys use dry bags and raft their way over the deep stuff - looks scary but seems to work :o

I have heard that the British Army would wrap a LandRover in a canvas tarpaulin to float them across rivers, but can't imagine how this works. If they wrap the truck up on dry land, the wheels won't roll, so how do they get them into the water? If they lay the tarp in the water and roll the LandRover on to the tarp before wrapping it up, how does it float with all that water inside the tarp?

Bill.

Maybe it's a top-secret tarp that repels water so mush that it hovers above it like a magic carpet......

I'll get me coat.....

Dunk

I have heard that the British Army would wrap a LandRover in a canvas tarpaulin to float them across rivers, but can't imagine how this works. If they wrap the truck up on dry land, the wheels won't roll, so how do they get them into the water? If they lay the tarp in the water and roll the LandRover on to the tarp before wrapping it up, how does it float with all that water inside the tarp?

Bill.

Of limited practical value. How do you carry the floatation devices when you leave the water and want to drive overland? If you never want to leave the water you would be better off with a proper boat.

bill.

It is just a publicity stunt Bill. Don't take it too seriously.

It is just a publicity stunt Bill. Don't take it too seriously.

Yes, That one was a publicity stunt that proves absolutely nothing, and I don't take it seriously. But there was a time when LandRover did take the idea seriously enough to build a few military Rovers with similar floatation devices. Don't the engineers Pre think about the issues of practicality, re carriage and storage of the floatation devices when the vehicle is driven on dry land?

Bill.

Edit, I suppose in serious conflict situations, similar to crossing the Rhine in Germany in WW2, these efforts might in fact have some useful application.

engineers......practicality

Bwahahahahaha... You really shouldn't use those words in the same sentence. There was a time long ago that an Engineer was mandated to work in the field and learn about real life. But that time has long passed. Finding an engineer that know anything practical is nearly impossible. It is a sad sad state of affairs and really makes me embarrassed to be one.

Bwahahahahaha... You really shouldn't use those words in the same sentence. There was a time long ago that an Engineer was mandated to work in the field and learn about real life. But that time has long passed. Finding an engineer that know anything practical is nearly impossible. It is a sad sad state of affairs and really makes me embarrassed to be one.

I am certainly no engineer myself. But I have met quite a few incompetent ones , as well as some brilliant ones in my time, and I know what you mean. but I see no reason why you should be embarrased, so long as you have confidence in your own abilities and continue to hone your skills and expand your knowlege of the craft.

Bill

There still is, it's known as an apprenticeship, and if you search hard you'll find companies still doing them and shuftying you off to college once a week to get the theory with your practical knowledge that you learn on the job.

Ex-MoD Apprentice from five years ago

There still is, it's known as an apprenticeship, and if you search hard you'll find companies still doing them and shuftying you off to college once a week to get the theory with your practical knowledge that you learn on the job.

Ex-MoD Apprentice from five years ago

There are apprentice auto mechanics, auto electricians, fitters, turner and fitters etc. But I have never heard of apprentice mechanical engineers. Maybe if there was such a thing, we wouldn't have vehicles that are ridiculously difficult to work on. I thought LandRovers were bad enough but my wifes Trooper drives me insane whenever it requires mechanical attention. The engineers designed it to be easy to work on only if the body is removed, otherwise you need a trained mouse that can operate spanners and screw drivers.

Bill.

There are apprentice auto mechanics, auto electricians, fitters, turner and fitters etc. But I have never heard of apprentice mechanical engineers.

Well I was an Apprentice Avionic Electronic Engineer, trained for all electrical power distribution, flight navigation, aero engine electronics, RADAR, IR, GPS, theory of flight, weapons delivery systems, et cetera. Did bay servicing, flight maintenance, modifications and major servicing of aircraft back to bare airframes, modifications and trials installations, software testing and now work as a Avionics designer were we strive to design installations and modifications for the MoD so that they're reliable, easy to maintain, easy to fit and can take being thrown into the ground at 15 G in most scenarios, as most of our modifications are fitted in the battlefield with few tools and a limited time schedule, and when the thing hit's the ground the crew tend to get upset when they survive the crash but get a piece of kit lodged in the back of their head :P