Disco2: Bonnet release cable broke

jagwit

Hi All

Bonnet release cable broke on my Disco2 facelift V8. Any ideas on how to get the bonnnet open to replace the cable. Same thing happened with my previous D2 but that happened when it was still under guarantee and workshop fixed it.

Hi There,

The cable pulls a lever under the plate on top of the radiator grille. On the D1 it is possible to hook a tent peg through the grille and slide the catch towards the NS. If you have a different grille you may find that you need to grovel on the floor and reach all the way up there. This lever is the reason the cable breaks, the service says to greese the bonnet catch, but no one ever does the lever, it rusts up. The cable is quite cheap and you usually have to remove the glove box to fit it.

OK, I figured it out!!

File with pics attached. "A picture paints a thousand words"

It seems one has to destructively remove the plastic cover under the latch mechanism to get access to the latch. It MIGHT be possible to insert a long flat screwdriver just into the right spot (as shown in the pics) but I only figured that out after breaking away the plastic cover. It is quite brittle and shatters into pieces when placed under strain so watch your eyes.

Having removed the cover I found the reason my bonnet would not open:

The cable had stretched, causing the O-ring tip of the cable to slip off the hook that releases the bonnet.

Same thing would happen when O-ring eventually wears through.

Having seen how the mechanism works, I now carry a pry-bar with me in the car until I get the replacement cable. I stick the bar through the grille, match up the tip with the hook and then push to the left. One might need a small light to see where the pry bar tip has to go in dark situations.

Bonnet latch.pdf

• 3 years later...

hey there, i did this today and didn't have to break the plastic cover or cut the grill. there is a decent amount of slack on the cable that i was able to pull it to within an inch of the grill and hold in place with a small bent tool. once held i cut the plastic coating off. then i prying off just a tiny amount of the metal sheathing. once done a needle nose pliers to pull on the exposed cable. took about 5 mins.