brake calliper bolts. Grease or Thread Lock?

duncmc

Last night I started to changed my rear pads and discs on a RRC '93 with ABS. The disc were in a dreadful state! (got one side done)

Anyway, I was sure that the brake calliper to hub bolts should have had loctite on, but they had copper slip, as had the drive member bolts. When I looked in both my Landrover publications- a 93 and 95 workshop manuals it does not mention threadlock for these bolts. Only for the disc to hub bolts.

What is the general opinion? Should the brake calliper bolts be greased or have thread lock? (gone back with grease for now)

I'd use thread lock on the two bolts securing the caliper .........

That's what I thought too. I just need to clean the grease out of the holes, then I i'll put thread lock on I think.

I had one come out on me once on my last Range Rover years about 15 years ago! That was greased.

• 4 years later...

Dragging this thread back up.

I had forgotten that I posted this back in 2011.

I have been having the same thoughts again, just on my current RRC rebuild. Before i posted a new thread I thought I would do a quick Google to and up pops this thread! I still can't understand why Landrover do not mention to put new Locite on the caliper bolts when reassembling, but do on other bolts. Whereas the early ones had a lock tab to be bent over. They don't even say to use new bolts like they do on some later things, which would then come with thread lock on.

I was at the spares dept of my JLR stealer and questioned why they did not stock bolts for important items. The answer was a Jag mechanic will always use new bolts but LR reuse the old ones.

After drilling out the brake disc screws and trying to buy new they said that they haven't sold any for the last four years!