New Rear Shock Setup

Acquired 2 rear ORAM shocks same as what scrapiron put in their wonderfull <_<:ph34r: extreme kit :lol:

I wanted to make something WAY lighter than the orange people do so i knocked up these last night :) These are just one off's for my own motor,got some in the pipe line to fit std length right through to +6" that fit under std rear tubs

oramrearend001.jpg

oramrearend002.jpg

oramrearend004.jpg

oramrearend005.jpg

oramrearend006.jpg

Materials used were 1.75" x 2.8mm T45 for the tube work,S515 3.5mm plate for the mounts and 2.5mm 316L stainless sheet for the spring relocators.

Both mounts,relocators and spring retaining bars weigh less than 1 scrapion nylon sliding thing!!!

Chris

....but Chris, have you given it a full 'solid works' analysis :P:lol::D

Oh me coat, Oooooooooo Ta ....hey steady Arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Nige :ph34r:

:lol::lol::lol: Get yourself some of that S 515 in 6mm to do your rear winch mount VERY VERY strong stuff and way lighter than the forth road bridge you are planing building in the back of your 90 :ph34r::ph34r: Then again you would have to change your rear springs else you will have a +6" lift to deal with :o:unsure::ph34r:;)

The spring relocators look spot on, but I'd imagine the shock mounts can see very high forces, I'd be surprised if they don't flex without some extra bracing. I was talking to a guy at Billing who's making something similar, he's had failures around where your bottom welds are from fatigue.

The spring relocators look spot on, but I'd imagine the shock mounts can see very high forces, I'd be surprised if they don't flex without some extra bracing. I was talking to a guy at Billing who's making something similar, he's had failures around where your bottom welds are from fatigue.

The only extra bracing that i am going to put in will be between the upright tube to the plate,the forces acting on the tube are in compresion and in tension so IF it where running the coilovers i am playing with Yep they would need alot more bracing to carry the load.The idea is to see how light we can go WITHOUT them falling to bits.Plus i have a fair bit of confidance in my welding

I reckon the shock mount can see as much force as the spring hanger on rough roads, but I take your point re lightness - everything on LRs is massively overengineered and this kind of thing is the only way to see how much weight you can get away with cutting out.

I reckon the shock mount can see as much force as the spring hanger on rough roads, but I take your point re lightness - everything on LRs is massively overengineered and this kind of thing is the only way to see how much weight you can get away with cutting out.

As you say John overengineered AND useing carp metals :blink: Lack of weight is the way to go.Using good quality gear to fab from makes a huge differance.

The damper "mount" loading will vary massively on how the compresion damping is setup.

So do you recon you could make front & Rear ones to take Milners own or fox shocks (rose jointed)

Only a thought.

Would this need more development.

Just a little idea for the tomcat which now the camper has sold I can finaly get started

Jules