first start

nick w

hi everyone so the 1975 series 111 petrol engine has been striped restored and now refited done all the lubricants ect and turned her over plugless and all seams well my question is though how can i just fire her up. As i am yet to rewire the ignition and stuff. obviously i have a battery installed but cant get a spark from the coil (the big one bolted to the bulk head) do i need to run any tempory connections or is this pointing to a knackerd coil also due to my lack of a wiring loom i am also arching out the solinoid to turn her over any help much appriciated cheers

Assuming negative earth for the vehicle.

The battery will be earthed to the chassis and or engine. The Low tension ignition circuit will be battery + to coil (+ terminal), coil (-) to distributor - then the distributor is earthed in turn to the engine - return to battery by earth strap. Offhand I can't be sure if the coil body should be earthed - it normally is by its mountings onto the bulkhead - its only for HT purposes so if its loose then resting it on metal will probably do. If its mounted normally on the bulkhead and the engine AND chassis are earthed (as normal) you can forget this point.

A switch somewhere is a good idea so you can turn the thing off.

If you have an alternator it MUST not run without a load - it will destroy itself. Either connect it properly or take the belt off. A dynamo shouldn't come to any harm if the control box is functioning properly.

Are the points opening to a proper gap?

Assuming negative earth for the vehicle.

The battery will be earthed to the chassis and or engine. The Low tension ignition circuit will be battery + to coil (+ terminal), coil (-) to distributor - then the distributor is earthed in turn to the engine - return to battery by earth strap. Offhand I can't be sure if the coil body should be earthed - it normally is by its mountings onto the bulkhead - its only for HT purposes so if its loose then resting it on metal will probably do. If its mounted normally on the bulkhead and the engine AND chassis are earthed (as normal) you can forget this point.

A switch somewhere is a good idea so you can turn the thing off.

If you have an alternator it MUST not run without a load - it will destroy itself. Either connect it properly or take the belt off. A dynamo shouldn't come to any harm if the control box is functioning properly.

Are the points opening to a proper gap?

not got to setting the correct gap on the points yet but they are opening

Feed +12V from battery to + terminal of the coil; connect coil - terminal to distributor.

Take off the fanbelt: you can run for a minute or so with no water-pump, but if you spin the alternator without a proper load being connected, it can destroy the rectifier/regulator.

Oh yes - hook up an oil-pressure-gauge! A friend wrecked the bearings/crank in a newly built Ford 351CID V8 at first startup because the (new) oil-pump decided it didn't want to pump oil after all.

--Tanuki.

"The last Tormentor General was one Thomas Bainbridge, appointed to the post by Oliver Cromwell in 1642. With his creative punishments he played a major part in the Massacre of Drogheda in 1649 but on the restoration of the Monarchy in 1661 Bainbridge was arrested, found guilty of high treason, and executed by being lowered head-first into a barrel of toads".