Sticking Insulation?

I've been given a load of dense closed cell foam, about 8mm thick (IIRC) which I want to use as insulation in the truck.

What is the best way of sticking it down? I was thinking some kind of double sided tape.

I want it to be water resistant and to stick well, but not be permanent.

Thanks in advance :)

Double sided tape will dry out over time and the mats will start to peel away. That or you'll never get the stuff off!

I'd use silicone, it should stick ok and should be easy to peel off in the future.

hmm when i get round to properly fixing my sound insulation, i will use this stuff. at the moment it is wedged. 25mm kingspan house insulation on the bulkhead. only on the flat section behind the engine at the moment, but only that little piece made a HUGE difference to long distiance driveability. it saw my comfortable cruising speed increase from 50 to over 65 the only thing really now is the wind noise from the doors which i just cant sus, (the door tops are very strong and dont wobble!!)

will be sticking some more kingspan about soon, will stick some in the door bottoms when i get door cards. (in this application i would reccommend taping around the edges where the foam is exposed to stop water soaking into it and rusting the door frame.)

and at only £12ish for a 1200 by 2400 sheet (i think 8 by 4 ft) you could go mad.

wheelarches, doors, engine bay, seatbox, rear bulkhead, cab sides. and i got all mine for free working on a building site and that :) im even making a little kingspan hut for my compressor

it only holds water where it is enclosed, i.e. in the door bottom where water leaks ontop of it.

the engine bay insulation is never wet. and i think it would be ideal for van sides. what is the stuuff you are using, i may take a look at it.

well if you can find out whar it is ;/

the only water near me really is tissington ford. and thats not eactly deep. atm its not even 4 inches deep. never usually over a foot.

although it can be fun as unsuspecting tourists like to sunbathe next to it for some reason

This website is great at telling you what the sounds are that you're trying to insulate against, and more importantly how to do it:

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

For those who want the short version:

first add a vibration damper (cld tiles on that site). Can't seem to get the same stuff over here, but I things like silent coat seem to do the trick

then add closed cell foam: this blocks out high frequencies, which isn't a lot of use, but it acts as a separation layer between the panel and the next layer:

final layer is a barrier: mass loaded vinyl is perfect.

That's the plan for mine. Though I reckon I'll get a WOR kit too...