combining roofs

Steve H

I'm sure I've seen on this forum reference to being able to marry up the front of a 90/110 truck cab roof with the rear of a normal stationwagon/hard top roof to be able to make a roof for an extended cab 90 or suchlike. Am I correct in supposing this can be done?

Reason for asking is that in this part of the world, 90 roofs are like rocking horse poo but I could get a 110 track cab with not too much hassle & series roofs are easy to come by & I want to marry them together. Actually for a hybrid build. Any pointers to threads articles appreciated. I tried searching but found nowt that answered my question.

Thanks, Steve.

Steve, its not easy over here either. Trust me, I know <_<

Basically, the neatest way to end up with a king cab is to shorten a double cab roof. These are unbelievably rare and stupidly expensive. Basically, this roof uses a standard hardtop front section with a custom rear section. You can barstardise the rear section of a series truck cab roof but its much harder to get the results.

There's no easy solution :(

Hi Will, thanks for cheering me up like that, :( , if you think that double cab roofs are rare in the UK, they're almost unheard of out here, I think I've seen two on double cab 130s. Ignoring the difficulty factor, does a truck cab roof have the same cross sectional profile at its high point(or anywhere?) as the standard Land Rover roof profile? Sorry if I'm not being clear, but if I cut a truck cab roof cross wise & say a Series 3 roof crosswise anywhere on the parallel part, will they butt together reasonably exactly. I think I've read somewhere they will but I can't find the thread, either here or anywhere. :unsure::unsure:

Thanks Steve.

Steve, yes, the hardtop and SERIES truck cab will come together with a bit of work. Defender truck cabs don't work; the roof is of too low a profile. I think the thing with doing this is to really take your time. I've seen a few people who've done this that end up with roofs that are sort of banana shapped over the top section. Not pretty :ph34r:

Some other things to think about. I'm about to start producing rear sections for double cab roofs in fibreglass. I know shipping wouldn't be cheap but it might be something to think about.

Also I've heard thast someone in South Africa does fibreglass versions of all the LR roofs based on the Santana, twin skin, design again in fibreglass. This is thier solution to the lack of genuine parts. I'll try and get details but again you'll get stung with shipping even though the purchase prices seem very reasonable.

Defender truck cabs don't work; the roof is of too low a profile.

Thanks Will, doubly depressed now, this was my grand plan :( , I'll be interested to hear of any other options but the shipping normally kills such things for over here. A 90/100 hardtop sounds the better bet. Sounds like more money than the Scot in me wants to shell out too :lol::lol:

Steve

Thanks Will, doubly depressed now, this was my grand plan :( , I'll be interested to hear of any other options but the shipping normally kills such things for over here. A 90/100 hardtop sounds the better bet. Sounds like more money than the Scot in me wants to shell out too :lol::lol:

Steve

Series truck cab's can be come by, can't they? They'll work, its just the defender ones which won't.

If you're really up to a challenge you could lengthen a defender truck cab. Its much, much harder to get a good result but it is possible.

If you're really up to a challenge you could lengthen a defender truck cab. Its much, much harder to get a good result but it is possible.

Seeing as I want to use a Defender screen, a series truck cab won't be much use. I take it that extending a Defender truck cab would involve use alloy sheet cut & shaped. Urrgh, don't like the sound of that. :D Guess I'll need to look out for a 110 roof, possibly easier to find than a 90 roof.

Cheers & thanks, Steve.

Steve,

Have a look here: CrewCab Build. There is a whole load of stuff on building the truck, but there are a couple of paragraphs about the roof build. I realise this is for a much larger roof than you are thinking about, but it might give a few ideas...

Cheers

Mark