Straight Pipe Instead Of Middle Silencer

I fitted one to my TD5 90 just to get round the aforementioned overdrive clearance problem.

It sounds nice and you can get out after a run with the motor on tickover and listen to the turbo whistle changing. For the first week or so the low frequency noise/reverberation was a bit obtrusive until the pipe sooted up a bit.

The turbo does seem to spin up a bit quicker and it pulls a bit better low down.

For the exhaust I had look here:

http://www.gwynlewis4x4.co.uk/page12.html

It cost around £270 for the kit (weld it together yourself). I know.... sounds like alot of money but it is stainless. Took me half a day to remove the old exhaust and install the new. The exhaust now exits on the near side about 3" before the rear wheel arch. I have today fixed the rattle (it was just a bit of adjustment required) and sounds alot better although still loud. The nerves will kick in on Thursday when I take my wagon for MOT. We will have to see what the Gestapo has to think about it. I have now just got to sort out a deflector for AWDC challenge events. They don't seem to like side exiting exhausts.

Dave

had my first real test run of the landy today since fitting the mid pipe - what a difference, it will now pull a gear higher on twisty devon a roads compared to before. downside is its bloody loud under hard acceleration - i am hoping it will clog/soot a little to reduce this or i could not work it as hard!

mpg - havent filled it yet and have only done 100 miles since fitting so too early to tell yet. due to loud pedal use i epxect ot would have dropped until the novelty wears off. (thats from my old man driving it who couldn't resist thrashing it everywhere!)

my conclusion is that on a std wagon (ecu wise) noise aside it makes little difference, where as on a chipped one it goes along way to helping you get even more torque from the engine.

i will keep you posted.

Well i have only done 363 miles since fitting the pipe but i must add that so far i am impressed (apart from the extra noise i could do without). So its had its first fill and i was pleasently suprised to see the mpg had increased, especialy as my old man drove it for 100miles or so and get his foot to the floor most of the time just for the noise!

its is getting a little quieter it seems, mileage will tell i suppose.

main advantages are it picks up alot quikcer than previous, i can hold a gear higher on twisty devon roads and mpg has improved.

my mpg findings are:

Std vehicle: 30.9mpg average over 6k miles

Once chipped (JE Eng Ph 1): 29.6mpg over 9.8K miles

with straight through pipe fitted: 32.4mpg over 363 miles !!!!!

i know to quantify it i need to do some more miles as it could be a one off. its done 34mpg as twice since chipped as well! in fact since it hit 68k, 3k miles ago it hasnt dropped below 30mpg.

I am currently fitting a hand built mandrel bent 3" stainless steel system with a 3" Vortex box.

The aim being to reduce back pressure, which will improve turbo response and reduce turbo operating temperature.

We will fit a small rear box to eliminate resonance.

A cool charger is also going in at the same time which will further improve initial performance.

These are being fitted to a International HS 2.8 TGV which has a variable wastegate turbo.

No adjustments will be made to the fuel settings. (Still under warranty!)

I will report back on the improvements, if any!!

John