The Grave yard

Bos

Presently got one of these things lurking under my office window in the fast jets squadron, quite a beast in olive drab and RAF 33 Sqd markings on it, so it must be for tugging Puma helicopters around fields. Comes ready equipped with tray back (must be to carry the pongo's luggage out to their aricraft while they're in dispersals), and big mud tyres.

Anyone seen one of these in action getting down and dirty? only one I could find in Olive was this:

4-FASTRAC-MILITARY01.jpg

RESULT!! :D

First parts place could not identify it but asked questions like is it for Bendix, Girling :(;

Ford's ruled out Fiesta as being too big.

Allparts looked on system: 22 mm bore matched up with 86-88 2.0l Sierra plus another which had different spacing for bolt holes. (I could tell it was wrong by looking at the box!).

So there it is, £ 88 down on the day but.....

Quickie - how much clearance should there be between the puish rod and the pitson?

Thanks for responses :)

Dead easy. Connect one end of the HT winding on the coil to one plug, the other end to another plug. The plugs and coil all end up in series, with the ground (cylinder head) at a potential half way between the two plugs.

gotcha; was assuming the coil pack have one end of HT at ground like ye olde coils have, damn clever, bet it was the Japanese who came up with that, grrrr........

Presently got one of these things lurking under my office window in the fast jets squadron, quite a beast in olive drab and RAF 33 Sqd markings on it, so it must be for tugging Puma helicopters around fields. Comes ready equipped with tray back (must be to carry the pongo's luggage out to their aricraft while they're in dispersals), and big mud tyres.

Anyone seen one of these in action getting down and dirty? only one I could find in Olive was this:

4-FASTRAC-MILITARY01.jpg

I love em!

A local fertiliser spreading firm have a couple of JCB Fastracs with hopper bodies on the back. They look as mean as mustard, like a big hotrod. Coil spring suspension all round, 4 wheel disc brakes, offroad towing capacity of 30 tonnes, 90 kph top speed ,and British too!! If the Lottery god smiles upon me one day I'll scrap my Landey and have one as a daily driver.

Bill.

When I was out ploughing snow in the 90 earlier this year I did a stretch of public road to get to the neighbours... As I was turning at the top T junction, the local farmer came round in his Fastrac and stopped for a chat.. His turbo was still winding down as we started to talk and I have to confess to being very green eyed as I looked up into the heated, "belss n' whistles" cab.... ;)

A little bit - how technical do you need to get 02?

If you can wiggle it - then that's great.

Les. :)

no that is fine. I was wondering whether the piston need to be pressed in a bit when the pedal is not pressed; my gut feel would be 1 mm or less before the rod starts to act on the piston.

c

cheers - should have it sorted hopefully by tonight.

yeah i use a USB HDD for backing up my entire network!

i only have a 500gb unit which cost about £200 but it backs up every evening and i take it home when i leave the office.

Also have one at home which i change with the office so i have an up to date spare all the time.

Infinitely cheaper than tape backups!

4-FASTRAC-MILITARY01.jpg

MOD bought these for the RAF to replace all the Harrier sqdn's Unimogs, seems the Puma/Chinnok & most likely Merlin helo sqdns get them to, really good bit of kit.

From JCB's site

JCB High Mobility Fastrac (HMF)

The revolutionary JCB High Mobility Fastrac (HMF) is a full suspension, highly capable tractor unit. Capable of safe travel at high speeds both on and off-road, it can achieve road speeds of over 50mph (80kph) and yet still be as effective as a conventional tractor in the field.

The RAF uses the HMF to tow Harriers and other aircraft from hides for operations. It can also be used for high-speed snow clearance of runways, store yards and depots; salt spreading and de-icing; and, thanks to the special 'easy-ride' suspension system, for towing sensitive loads such as bombs and munitions.

Using its power take-offs the HMF is able to operate a variety of systems from backhoes to pumps for fuel or water. Its 4t rear deck capacity enables a wide range of kit to be carried. The HMF is able to tow trailers up to a legal limit of 25t GTW in the UK with ease.

Every HMF model can haul up to 24t gross train weight at 50kph, significantly faster and safer than any competitive machine. There is ABS braking, so these machines can stop safely with no risk of jack-knifing. A two-man, low-profile cab offers excellent all-round visibility and ancillary equipment can be front, rear-deck or rear mounted.

There are faster JCB's around, you know:

I know the groundclearance is a bit iffy, but it has 4 wheel drive.

Daan

JCB press release from today

Fastest digger in the West?

JCB says its Dieselmax diesel-powered car hit 200 mph in UK tests before going to Bonneville, Utah recently. Wing Commander Andy Green, who set the first supersonic world land speed record in October 1997, will to try and break the 235.756 mph diesel record set by Virgil W Snyder in 1973. Over the next few days Green hopes to hit 300 mph; you can follow his fortunes at www.jcbdieselmax.com