03 Freelander TD4

danielj

Hi guys, I've owned my td4 since october and its developed an annoying shake. As soon as you reach up to 35/40mph the car starts to vibrate quite violenty. I've took it out of gear at that point and it disappears, its only happening when power is applied. Anyone got any ideas as im a 4x4 newbie and im worried somethings gonna go bang.

Cheers

If the vibration goes when you take it out of gear and the vehicle is still traveling at the same speed i would have thought it more likely to be flywheel, clutch or gearbox related, as the prop is still turning when out of gear the bearings would still be noisy if they were at fault.

No with mine - you dipped the clutch and the noise stopped.

Sounded at it's worst going around a roundabout at 20-30mph.

I've done my bearings twice - used crappy Bearmach ones 18months ago and they only lasted 12,000 miles.

Got landy ones now £70 each.

VCU Bearings could be right - the prop is still turning when you dip the clutch but it's not under load, since it's all rubber mounted it can twist under load.

If you're willing to spend half an hour underneath with the spanners you could prove it - drop the prop & VCU off and then you can spin the bearings and see what they feel like, can also check the UJ's while you're at it. Only slightly-special tool needed is a star socket for the front bolts, the rest is a couple of metric spanners/sockets.

Yes I had the UJ bearings done at the same time.

With my support bearings the rubbers had split all the way round, easy to spot. Just rattle the prop back and forward.

I got a garage to do the job with parts I supplied. £95.

I was told the old ones are b*****r to get off.

• 3 weeks later...