boost gauge

hi ive been running both my defender 200tdi's boost gauges through a t piece located in the boost pipe. ive been running them going 0n 3 years now boosting 18 psi with the pump tweaked a little.but even tho theve both been good as gold ive heard this is the wrong place to get the reading from, is there much difference in the reading's any help would be very gratefull thankyou

theres about a 2-3psi drop through the intercooler, for a true reading you need to get the guage piped to the inlet manifold. not hard to do but you need to get a banjo bolt for the blanking plug facing towards the rocker cover.

Have to say that although the 'true' boost should be taken from the inlet manifold if LR have specified 15psi for sake of argument AT THE TURBO then areguably all measurements should relate to this location - or else, with it set as per factory THEN measure the 'true' boost at manifold and work all adjustments from there with a correction factor so you know where you are.

Those that say the wastegate reference line should come from the manifold 'to ensure you get the 15 psi LR intended' are wrong - however it is a quick way to up the boost above the factory setting - and so long as you are content running a little more than factory there is nothing wrong per se with doing so (and I have moved mine).

Your 18 psi is 3 psi or so greater than factory, move the boost gauge to manifold and it will READ a bit less - you haven't changed anything else. The only benefit of a boost gauge from the manifold is you may be able to see any hose leaks a bit more easily.

If you want to move it take the blanking plug out of the back, drill a hole in it to suit a bit of brass tube, clean both up and roughen the tube, inset into plug and solder (I used electrical solder and it's been fine).

I wouldn't worry though!