URGENT welder drinking gas

discomikey

my mig welder is a SIP Weldmate T150P

150amp gas mig welder which uses disposable bottles, ats a nice protable mig welder and very useful but its decided to start using loads of gas to weld with, the welds are very good to start with but it seems to use a whole disposable bottle within 7 or 8 inches of weld. maybe a little more but not much. i have already used 2 bottles today within an hour or so, i have 4 bottles left but im not going to waste them cos gas is quite expensive.

the bottle is not leaking where it screws onto the regulator thing. the reulator thing isnt leaking where it goes to the pipe.

there is no guage for the gas flow or pressure so i assume it does this automatically in the regulator, but why is it using so much gas.

i need my land rover back on the road monday morning. :(

Hi,

I know when I had my SIP 90 amp welder there was a 'regulator' that you screw onto the disposible gas cylinder which you manually regulated yourself by unscrewing it a certain amount of turns. You may have the flow set too high. How much welding have you done with this welder, has it been fine before? Has it just started?

Steve

its been fine before, always been a little quick to use gas but thats probably just the size of the disposable bottles.

ive used it about 10 times before, and used about 4 bottles how do you know how to set the flow on them then? as there is no guage when is not enough and when is too much?

Hello there.

Everything depends on everything else, ie working in doors or out, calm day windy day, clean material and gauge.

Do a test piece, start with gas off and a low power setting and adjust until you get the weld you want.

This may sound silly but check for leaks.

Hope this helps.

with a bigger bottle it would still drink gas wouldnt it?

If it's got a fault, yes. But if you're lunching 4-10 bottles on a regular basis then I'd suggest it'd be well worth looking at renting a proper size bottle from BOC, the disposables are insanely expensive.

thats why i got a disposable one, the times i need to mig weld are MOT time and occasionally every now and then, not worth the cost of renting a big gas bottle.

what im saying is it shouldnt have used 2 disposable bottles to weld around a foot of weld.

thats not just a bit funny theres definately something wrong here.

Check gas solenoid in welder, also diaphram in regulator could have hole in it venting to atmosphere,if its delivering too much gas you should be able to hear the excess coming out of the torch.

I had a brand new lincoln mig (not a cheapo either, though made of chinese junk inside) and the solenoid wasnt closing fully, losing gas all the time and nearly imposible to hear.

I've got a migmate 130 and have just done probably over 100 inches of weld over the last two weeks on a single bottle, so I'd say you have a problem.

The bottle top regulator on mine is a bit poxy and doesn't seem to make much difference how far open the valve is - I just keep mine fully open, but on another welder I've had there was much more adjustment and fine tuning made a big difference to consumption, optimum being only just open a tad.

I did have an unexplained leak in the torch a couple of days ago, from the air pipe fitting where it connects to the brass valve, could just hear the gas escaping - I took it apart, fiddled and put it back together again and it stopped it - have a listen to yours, might be something similar?

Halfords used to sell regulators for the little bottles. Failing that, you could just squash the pipe from the bottle to the welder to limit gas flow.

In general, when the gas is coming out the torch, you should only just be able to hear the hiss. Increase the flow when necessary, but in still air, more than that is a waste.

Si

thanks guys ill have a few checks tomorrow, if i go through another bottle quick itll be 3 bottles for a patch about 6inch long lol

If you check all gas pipes and regulators with diluted washing up liquid you might find where the gas is escaping

Am I missing something here? A small halfrauds type gas bottle normally only lasts about 20 minutes as they are only designed for amateur use?

In this case, he is saying a bottle only lasts six inches of weld. 6 inches in twenty mins would be rather slow!

Si

now i managed to get my chassis all welded up, played about with the connections, and very carefully slowly turned the gas up a little bit each time till the weld started to look right.

finished the patching in 2 bottles which is about right :) thanks guys

Adams Gas do no rental bottles that are about 1/3 the size of a BOC size Y.

You pay a £50 deposit (refundable on return of bottle) and then £32-ish for a fill of Argoshield. It's a good compromise for low volume users that hate the cost of disposable bottles, but don't want the extortionate rent of a BOC bottle.

I have no affiliation with Adams, but a bunch of us in my home town just got together on a bulk order from them.

Other than this, if you have a leak - fix it. If you have no regulator - get one, they're not that much £.

The SIP hobby regs are complete carp, I went through 3 in my bad old SIP ownership days. Leaks and shoddy springs.

Going to a proper bottle pays for it's self very quickly, I also think the gas is a better quality, I know when I swapped I noticed a huge difference.

The Adams bottles are a great compromise between BOC and the hobby bottles.

I went to my local welding place (SPA welding in Shoreham) to get a BOC refill and they now hove these cylinders, I think from a different company other than Adams, but they said they were only filled to 130 Bar, not the 200Bar you find in BOC cylinders and so it make it a little more expensive.

I just checked the Adams website and there cylinders are also filled to 130bar.

Steve