Paint Colour and Code.

Just bought this Defender 90 off eBay, October 1994 registered 300TDI with genuine 96K on the clock. There seems to be quite a lot of confusion and lack of knowledge at the local LR parts suppliers as to what the exact colour and code is for this blue and no-one seems to be able to supply anything even close even though there are thousands about in this colour. I guess that in the event of not being able to find any I would have to get some mixed up to match. Anyone tell me what it is?

LRCounty01.jpg

Hi Fred, try looking at this site - its one I seen linked to elsewhere in the forum

http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/nonmetallic.html

looks like there are two /three different blues

Arles 90-97

and then Royal blue which is an SVO

And Blue lord which is SVO

I imagine these are specials - so its probably Arles Blue..

Try this guy for paint - I have got some Shire blue I have used to re-spray some of my Landy - works a treat..

http://www.paintman.co.uk/paint-colour-chart-series-2.html

hope that helps

Thanks chaps, I thought that it should be Arles and told my local LR parts suppliers so but they weren't that helpfull so I'll try somewhere else! From what I have gleaned from others in my area that have a LR or have had one the same blue, they have said, which is the case on mine, that on the VIN plate of these blue ones, there is no paint code stamped in and that LR deleted it due to the inconsistency between batches. As you can surmise, being 17 years old, it could do with a little touching up here and there.

I have the same problem with paint shops not finding the colour of my landy. Mine was resprayed in a non land rover colour.. so I dont know if I will ever find the paint code.. I have found a near match in a paint catalog/swatch book but its not quite right - looks like I will have to put up with some slightly off colour doors... :(

I suppose the best way to get a matching paint is to drive the vehicle to a paint shop and get them to mix up some, hoping that it will dry and cure to the same shade. I prefer an oil based enamel as it will keep in the tin for years with the lid on and air tight whereas cellulose paint goes off pretty quick and doesn't store very well.