Diff gear rumble + video

Just wanting a second opinion here.

I've scavenged a '91 disco for parts on my 90 and have recently got round to putting the new discs on the rear axle.

Whilst the hubs were off I checked out the bearings and replaced duff units in pairs as necessary. On refit, the hubs were set for endfloat and spin silently now.

Upon refitting the halfshafts, I gave everything a spin and was disappointed to hear the noises shown. Handbrake is on so propshaft is stationary. Both wheels off the ground and the rumble is definately from the axle case. When the OS driveshaft is removed and NS hub spun it is all silent again.

To be honest I don't know if this is good, very bad or just normal. There is some wear on the splines but I'd appreciate comments...

With the propshaft held by the brake, your crown and pinion are stationary and all that rotation is going through the side gears in the diff to force the far wheel to rotate in the oposite direction. That is extreme differential action, your side gears are spinning hard-out to lose that energy through the other wheel. They will be quite noisey doing this compared to normal road use and cornering where there would be only slight differential action as the turning radius is offset through the side gears. I'd not be too worried about it. You have put EP90 back in the diff eh?

ray.

With the propshaft held by the brake, your crown and pinion are stationary and all that rotation is going through the side gears in the diff to force the far wheel to rotate in the oposite direction. That is extreme differential action, your side gears are spinning hard-out to lose that energy through the other wheel. They will be quite noisey doing this compared to normal road use and cornering where there would be only slight differential action as the turning radius is offset through the side gears. I'd not be too worried about it. You have put EP90 back in the diff eh?

ray.

Thanks for that - I watched a cracking video explaining diffs on Ashcroft's website yesterday and was starting to think the same thing - its not a particularly natural thing to ask the diff to do. Without a spare gasket at the ready I don't want to take the diff off just yet as I'm in the middle of so many other jobs.

Yeah - the diff has been refilled with 90 but it didn't make any difference to the noises.

I was just wondering whether it'd be gears or bearings making the noise. And a quick look online suggests rebuilding a diff isn't an easy job.

I was just wondering whether it'd be gears or bearings making the noise. And a quick look online suggests rebuilding a diff isn't an easy job.

It's pretty much all side gear noise because, again, the carrier, crown and pinion are imobilised by the brake in your test, so their bearings are not in action. Don't be put off doing a diff job by all that pre-load, lash gubbins. It's not rocket science. If you do decide to tackle it some time, do the diff and yourself a favour and replace the carrier with a locker. On the rover diff, it's a piece of cake because you can do the whole thing on the bench and the end-caps screw in and out to give you your adjustment. Salisbury a bit harder because it's done in situ and you've got to work with shims.

Have fun with it! Ray.