Land rover service technicians

Tom1809

Hi folks,

I'm wondering if there are any land rover technicians or mechanics on here that wouldn't mind giving me a little bit of information in regards to a) developing a career b) what is it actually like, no sugar coating simple black and White facts please. C) training involved. Etc Also if there are any employers on here that wouldn't mind giving me some pointers on what they look for especially in this trade.

Obviously as it's more of a private matter on such aspects my email address is Tommybrown127@googlemail.com. I'll be honest I have no previous experience in the motor industry and have lost college placement for my plumbing and heating nvq3 so using it as a opportunity to do what I really wanted and combining it with something that I thoughly enjoy doing and really want give my self the best possible chance.

Thank you

Tom

From what I have been told from others is that pay is not brilliant still but I am finding a lot of the jobs available are just paying above national minimum wage, :( I guess it's just shows the current times and the fact that there is not a lot of money around.

Its not quite what you asked, but might be of use (assuming you haven't found it already)

JLR careers

I don't know anybody about to start on this particular role, but I am about to start as a graduate engineer and know quite a few people already working for JLR and they really enjoy the job and people. During the assesment day I was given the chance to have lunch with people already in the role, and I assume that would be true for any role you apply for. JLR also tend to pay fairly well, but I don't know how much you would be earning. Also looks like you might have to move house.

Good luck in finding something!

I would say it's a good, transferable skill to have these days. So long as you are reasonably competent at it, as long as there are vehicles on the road - you'll have work.

Like any profession, the early years with low pay and poor conditions will be tough but it's an investment in your future - just the same as paying for a Degree.

In the future, you can of course go solo and start your own business - and return the favour to someone else starting out. If you don't enjoy it - you can always go and be a Plumber in the future! As an aside, I love Plumbing! It sounds strange, but I find it quite relaxing. It's similar to electrickery - but if it goes wrong you get a bit wet, rather than getting fried!

Si

As an aside, I love Plumbing! It sounds strange, but I find it quite relaxing. It's similar to electrickery - but if it goes wrong you get a bit wet, rather than getting fried!

Si

I trained as a diesel and HGV mechanic in 1985 as well as a plumber, electrician, carpenter and, most recently, furniture maker and teacher. I love the furniture side of things to make a living but the mechanics as a hobby. The last car repair I did really annoyed me as the chap didn't pay and has now become 'uncontactable'. Really lost interest in it as I'm finding too many people, with road cars, who expect the world for very little money and want Rolls Royce quality work on their £500 rust bucket!

However, the range of skills is definately very transferable in to so many areas.

I prefer electrical to plumbing as electricity doesn't leak out and damage the house in the same way that water can. I can repair a live, bare cable with out problem but a live, open pipe is a bit messy. :D