Td5 Exhaust manifold webbing and bottom pulley Q's

Off Road Toad

Whilst my new engine is still out of the vehicle and stripped i'd like to take the oppurtunity to see that everythings ok with it and rectify now while its easy access.

1st question is about the webbing on the exhaust manifold - do i remove this webbing or not? i've heard stories of warping manifolds and broken studs etc, will this prevent that from happening? It's running an aftermarket turbo/intercooler etc if that makes a difference.

Q 2 : The bottom pulley has a slight wobble, this clearly isn't right and i've heard stories about these too, whats the fix for this and why does it happen?

Thanks in advance for your help

Steve

If you do have after market remap then you're 'probably' running higher exhaust gas temps but the cause of the warping is less so the max temperature but the temperature variations experienced, especially from cold. Some 'bad' maps have big steps in fueling which can exacerbate the problem. Removing webbing will allow more reformation at individual exhaust ports (warping isn't linear across manifold) thus reduce warping across the whole manifold and may increase time before manifold will require changing, however, this is not ideal as you are reducing heat dissipation and total strength. Ideal solution would be higher strength tubular manifold with stronger manifold bolts offered by some tuners but that's costly. I run an IRB Developments stage 2 with boost box and uprated intercooler and haven't warped a manifold yet. I think it has a lot to do with the map, you driving style and how sympathetic you are until the engine + manifold are up to temp. If mine goes (hasn't so far with ~5k driving) then i will replace with second hand or skimmed manifold before buying tubular.

A lot of people are getting exhaust warping on standard tune engines. Mine warped with an IRB tune. I removed the webbing, had it skimmed flat, and increased the four outermost studs to M10 ( I think, from memory)

If you do get warping don't fit new manifold as that will still be able to warp as has not experienced that level of heat, where as your old one has, but has been machined flat.

I would remove the webbing early if you get the chance Steve, and increase stud size, or fit longer studs and spacers that are available.

Andy