LT230 Input seal

Just fitting a replacement transfer box. I have a new input seal, but just wondered how far back do you seat it in the transfer box casing? Flush with the casing or a little further back??

Then gotta get the bloody thing back on without ruining the seal on the way!

when sliding the box back on make up some dowels (or use something else to hand) to slide it along. Thus removing the worry of damaging the seal as the box is aligned and mates up exactly (using the bolt holes obviously). If you have a hoist its pretty easy to get it in the dowels. If not, like me, then i used a piece of pole through the drivers and passenger windows with the box suspended on straps.

I cannot remember how far i put that seal in. I know i ran some sealant on the face between the two boxes. this was recomended by someone but not sure who.

Thanks Neill. That looks like the tool to fit the output seal on the gearbox, rather than the input on the transfer box (unless i read it wrong).

In the end i fitted the seal in the same way as the one that came off, just 1mm or so behind the face of the box, rather than fluch with it. Fingers crosses that will be ok! I dont want to take this box off again in a hurry!!!

I used a couple of lengths of dowel to locate the box as suggested and that worked quite well in the end. I also bulit a couple of brackets to bolt to the box so that it was more stable on the engine hoist.

IIRC

You insert the seal until it contacts the bearing retaining circlip !

Input or either output seal or all three? I couldnt see anything for the input seal to seat securely against. There was a shim of sorts in there, but it looked like the seal might ride up on it, so i stopped before that.