The oddest thing you have towed

jules

Heaviest : 54 ton Mack with lowloader trailer carrying a poclain shovel in OZ about 3 miles

Longest : Volvo road train with two bulk tanker trailers clutch release gone push started in OZ

furthest: 2.5 mtr sattelite tracking dish in radome from cheshire to Naples

Oddest Helicopter , and a passenger hovercraft

all above done with V8 CSW 110

In UK MGB Gt sideways total lift behind K9 wrecker truck , Loaded Antar Tank transporter behind Leyland Martian , a 7.5 tonner front lift after accident the rear axle was so far out of line that I was on one side of road and rear of 7.5 tonner was on other . heres a piccie of the accident the driver was OK apart from broken collarbone as he jumped across cab just before the foreign artic hit him , they were heading in opposite directions over the bridge

post-5207-1234358815_thumb.jpg

a couple spring to mind towing my old 88"series on a transporter with a complete roof stood vertically behind the series with a mazda 323 great till a guy pulled out in front of me big brown moment for me and him but he slapped it into reverse very fast

being towed on a massey 165 with no brakes by my boss in a sierra who forgot i was there and got up to about 50mph on country roads i spent more time in the air than idid with me bum on the seat

but the best for the looks was when we were moving 8x4 blocks of high density polystyrene that was made up to look like rock we had a 14ft ivorwilims flatbed loaded8ft high heading up some irish mountains towing with a little zuki fatboy.

classic !!!!

Not particularly heavy, but very big:

boattrailer.jpg

I have been towing this around the country for about 5 years, in my jonger (rowing) days. When loaded up, it is larger than an arctic, and try driving this through london centre is not my idea of fun. My old pug did a pretty good job, but with the landy it was much more stable. Problem was, due to the height of the landy you cant use the middle shelf, so thats 3 boats less.

You are allowed to tow these; there is a an exemption of the rules regarding dimensions for trailers meant to transport vessels propelled only by oars.

It did go wrong only once, driving around midnight through london, doing a sharp left. A truck driving behind me didnt realize how far the tail swung out and he had 2 boats sticking through his left side window. It could have been nasty if it was LHD!

Daan

It had forecast rain the following day.

post-978-1234386078_thumb.jpg

We were doing a job on a railway near Nuneaton a few years ago and I had a chipper mounted on the back of a 130 V8 crew cab. It broke down about a mile from the access point. We had a tow back from a train.

i did the same with a 2 and a quarter 110 hi cap and flstbed once, got back to the farmyard and stopped it and it didnt start again, i killed the fuel system :L

ive also towed a tree, a tractor, a milk tanker and another alnd rover (all on sepsrate occasions of course and towed the tanker with a tractor obv)

mikey

Heaviest : 54 ton Mack with lowloader trailer carrying a poclain shovel in OZ about 3 miles

Longest : Volvo road train with two bulk tanker trailers clutch release gone push started in OZ

furthest: 2.5 mtr sattelite tracking dish in radome from cheshire to Naples

Oddest Helicopter , and a passenger hovercraft

all above done with V8 CSW 110

In UK MGB Gt sideways total lift behind K9 wrecker truck , Loaded Antar Tank transporter behind Leyland Martian , a 7.5 tonner front lift after accident the rear axle was so far out of line that I was on one side of road and rear of 7.5 tonner was on other . heres a piccie of the accident the driver was OK apart from broken collarbone as he jumped across cab just before the foreign artic hit him , they were heading in opposite directions over the bridge

Strike a light how old is that photo.... I was in short trousers when 1928's were lurking about and I've got my medical this year for my class 1... :P

I was once towed in my 6x6 by a SWB on the North Circular. As we passed an on slip a woman in a Renault 5 indicated to join the carriage way and tried to come in behind the SWB. Obviously I couldn't let her in but she still sounded her horn and shook her fist at me a she slammed on the brakes at the last moment. :P

On 2 occasions, people asked me for a tow, but the Landie was being worked on and couldn't be used.

So I resorted to the little Daihatsu my girlfriend drove in those days:

250px-1998_Daihatsu_Pyzar_01.jpg

First time was to jumpstart this 110DCPU:

normal_PICT0098~1.JPG

Had to keep it in first, foot to the floor or the little engine would die. :ph34r: Big rubber stripes on the road as wel.

Second time, a Citroën Evasion got stuck in field, trying to get past a barrier. Used a kinetic and yanked it out.

Incidently, last night the neigbhours asked if I would be willing to help them move their parents big caravan. Apparently it hasn't moved in years, and the only way out is over a field... :P

Gonna use the Defender, and take some pics. I just hope the caravan survives the beating when the Claws start throwing up mud. :lol: