Td5 Speedo

Gents,

When I swapped engines I gave the Td5 loom away with the engine.

I've retained the transfer box which has the speed sensor which I now need to wire to the speedo.

Drawing only shows one wire going From the sensor to the dash but the sensor has thee pins, any ideas what I need?

Cheers Mo.

Any idea which pin is which on the sensor?

I have this info in my paperwork, as i converted mechanical to TD5 speedo. But i wont be able to check it until friday.

IIRC theres more than just 3 wires needed, as theres a perm 12, switched, gnd, sensor and other optional connections.

If you are still looking by fri, i will post it.

I'm also looking for a TD5 mph speedo urgently if anyone has one.

Hoss

Looking into the plug on the harness from l to r, you'll have black/red (sensor), black (earth) and white/green (switched supply).

The plug is the same as you'd buy for a NAS tail light, so plenty on ebay etc.

speedoplug.jpg

HTH

Mo

• 8 years later...

Hi i am trying to do this conversion so far new dash fitted all warning lights working I am using a discovery auto box on my defender new sender fitted its a 2 pin sender other posts mention 3 pin no ground   when power op warning lights are on  speedometer shows millage  when i run engine speedo not working tried 2 different speedos where am I going wrong   Murphs

• 3 years later...
14 hours ago, rorytheaussie said:

Does any one happen to know the size of the crimp terminal that goes with that plug?

The speedo transducer uses an Econoseal 070 3-way female connector -

ESC3F-400.jpg

The terminals are 0.70" (inches), which equates to 1.8mm.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sigi_H said:

Britannica Restorations just made a video for a GPS speedo. Solution?

In my 109 there is one of those. Work's really well.  What ever tyre size or final drive, it's correct, for allmost two year's now.  

GPS driven speedo isn't road legal in the UK (or wasn't, last time I looked). Not that you can't have one of course, just that it doesn't qualify as a speedo.

More importantly, that speedo exceeds the total 'nasty plastic chrome' allowance for my entire fleet.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1