squeling belt on defender 300tdi

hello everybody

Another question about my 300tdi

Since the engine was put it in there has been a squeling noise from it. I thought it was the tensioner bearing which was shot so i replaced it ( thanks to les henson for the thread on this) but it wasnt that as the bearing i took out was sound and afterwards it still made the same noise.

A couple of days ago i met the guy i bought the landy from and he said put talcum powder on the belt.I laughed at him. I couldnt believe it worked. but it doesnt last. Does anyone know of a better solution or even why it does this? Its hard to listen to all the time.

Thanks again

Connor

Talcum powder only lets the belt slip silently; Best idea is to adjust it as it should be.

Failing that try some Coco Cola on the belt, leave it till it tries and it goes sticky and will help it grip the pulley.

It will work for a while but as said if properly adjusted it should not slip.

Regards

Frax ;)

Take the belt off, turn it inside out and run a wire brush along it. Then look over the whole length of the belt and remove any tiny bits of accumulated metal that are stuck in the grooves. Finally, slacken off the tensioner and place a 1p coin behind it at the 9 o'clock position before re-tightening. This solves a slight misalignment some peoples tensioners seem to have. I did all of the above to my 300TDi, which had the same squeal, 20K miles ago - since then, no noise.

When some of the machinery I work on does the same we normally get the belt off and run some emery paper in the grove of the pulley, this roughs it up a bit as the pulleys get very polished after a while and the belt slips no matter how tight you get it as it is trying to grip on a glass surface, you can run some emery on the belt as well.

Regards

Richard

I had this on my Disco 300. I thought it was the tensioner bearing, took it out, cleaned and re-packed it. Still squealed, thought it was waterpump, nope. Get a new tensioner assembly, as they wear, the angle alters. I got one from Paddocks, cheap and was definately the problem.