Death Wobble Solution

Disty

Hi Folks,

Think I have found the source of my death wobble. I had bodged the bolts with some big washers and it's not holding up.

Can anybody give me the part numbers for the bolts and washers for the TWO bolts shown in red on this picture?

whatpart-axle.jpg

Thanks!!

Oops, forgot to mention vehicle!

Defender 90 300tdi- late '95.

I moved the steering wheel while stationary and could see the whole assembly moving!

Have already changed steering damper and swivel preload. Checked panhard rod for movement and there's nothing compared to on this side.

Thanks western, although I can't actually find the bolt I need on there.

It's specifically the bottom nut and big washer which is wrong. See the attached pic of the missing part! It seems to come from the steering box.

axle-missing-part.jpg

After some further googling, it looks like the bolt belongs to the tie bar from the steering box to the panhard rod bracket.

In the parts catalogue it just shows a standard washer (4905) which would surely fall straight through?

This page shows the assembly better, and has the relevant parts diagram: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=40608

So is that correct? The washer needs to be big to fit over the big 'ole!

Sorry to hijack your thread but my Defender has started to do the same thing.

I replaced the steering damper, just because it was the easiest thing to do 1st. Then I found a lot of play in the panhard rod bushes and the radius arm bushes so I replaced them, and it still has a funny turn every now and then.

I checked wheel bearings and preload seems ok.

I am going to have a look at the steering box arm this afternoon.

wizard

Wizard, I'd recommend you have a look at this post for an overview of steering wobble.

If I were you, I'd get somebody to "dry steer" from side to side with the steering, while you look at the front axle. This will allow you to spot any play in the panhard rod and general steering assembly. Also, what have you changed recently? Does your PAS box leak?

Does nobody have any idea about this washer/bolt?

Just so it's completely obvious what I'm talking about and why it needs fixing, see the picture!

Both bolts are pretty messed up- but especially that washer! The bolt above it has been messed up by the steering guard, which didn't fit properly because of the winch bumper.

dodgy-bracket.jpg

After some further googling, it looks like the bolt belongs to the tie bar from the steering box to the panhard rod bracket.

In the parts catalogue it just shows a standard washer (4905) which would surely fall straight through?

This page shows the assembly better, and has the relevant parts diagram: http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=40608

So is that correct? The washer needs to be big to fit over the big 'ole!

Yes, just as per the parts diagrams, items 9,10 & 11, on the linked page 457 [your link]& annotated on a copy of your photo.

post-20-0-44875000-1313764968_thumb.jpg