Options to replace a TD5 turbo?

Mark

I noticed on our recent jaunt to Wales that my turbo is really very noisy on my 156k mile old TD5....

This leads me to believe that it is not very happy, and I would rather have thought about, and possibly acted upon this before it becomes an immediate issue.

So, having never replaced a turbo I wondered what options were out there...

Replace with new or recon unit?

replace with secondhand unit?

uprate turbo with something a bit more fun - maybe something with a variable geometry?

Anyone have any direct experience?

Are Disco TD5 turbos the same as defender ones?

Cheers

Mark

but you cant just replace the turbo with a bigger one, fuel system needs mod's e.g., remap then larger intercooler is the customary start point, the garret turbo seem to be popular, with a few other tweaks, 200bhp can be achieved easy :D

A genuine 200bhp is harder to achieve than most of the companies make out.

I spent well over £1500 at Bell Auto's upgrading my TD5 with new large intercooler, turbo upgrade, remap, air filter, EGR by-pass etc. and from the outset he said the most you can comfortably get from a healthy TD5 engine was about 180 bhp without tons of black smoke, a box for all the bits of engine strewn on the M62 and good AA cover for the trip home.

Before I chose Bell Auto's I phoned all the other upgrade merchants and was promised easy 200bhp with just a remap and a fettle... When I asked if they used a dyno, I was told by most that their remap doesn't need a dyno... so that'll be a generic remap then.

Mr Bell didn't use a dyno when I had mine done, but we did spend several hours hooning driving sensibly up and down the country lanes with the laptop on my knee and lots of adjustments. I felt I got good value for money, and not a generic one for all remap. I did have to have new brake pads after that day out though.

A few weeks later I took my 90 to a friend who has a 2 wheel dyno and after removing the front prop and strapping it down he went for a drive. The results were 183bhp and 331ft/lb torque. These are just figures, as I didn't do a before test... and I don't know how well his dyno is calibrated.

So... someone show me a easy 200bhp from a TD5... please.

I spent well over £1500 at Bell Auto's upgrading my TD5 with new large intercooler, turbo upgrade, remap, air filter, EGR by-pass etc. and from the outset he said the most you can comfortably get from a healthy TD5 engine was about 180 bhp without tons of black smoke, a box for all the bits of engine strewn on the M62 and good AA cover for the trip home.

I think that's the bottom line ... you rarely get something for nothing and it's all a compromise. There was an article in a LRO years and years ago about a French outfit that got nearly 200bhp out of a 300Tdi engine in a 90 but it smoked like a haystack on fire and if used all the time I doubt it would have lasted long either! I think it was a project to prove what was possible rather than a product for sale.

In any case I don't think it's about numbers, I think it's about what it feels like to drive, numbers are just for the brochures and the pub.

but since when have twisted ever used a dyno to prove the output ?

'innocent until proven guilty' springs to mind, unless you no for a fact that they don't for now we will say they do. (please prove me wrong) on there website it lists all mods and what bhp they offer, now surly if they didn't use a dyno, and all the figures are guess/estimates they could be taken to court for miss advertising/fraud? so if so, customers would 'sue there ass off' :blink::wacko:

Edited by landy-novice

Thanks for the constructive responses chaps...

I am really not after spending big money - I have a tweak on the ECU and a big intercooler, and frankly that's plenty powerful on an engine thats fairly long in the tooth. The VNT idea sounds great but I suspect is too much money...

Is the Garret unit an upgrade, or a direct replacement?

Cheers

Mark

Thanks for the constructive responses chaps...

I am really not after spending big money - I have a tweak on the ECU and a big intercooler, and frankly that's plenty powerful on an engine thats fairly long in the tooth. The VNT idea sounds great but I suspect is too much money...

Is the Garret unit an upgrade, or a direct replacement?

Cheers

Mark

depends,garret gt20 is standard, but they do hybrid/uprated turbos for LR, gives better performance throughout the rev's (less lag) but the vnt is available for £900

Edited by landy-novice

Well i have just inherited a B.A.S vnt turbo with my td5 engine, i've done quite a bit of research into this lately and some things have come to light. The turbo B.A.S use is a turbo technics S208 here http://www.turbotechnics.com/turbo/hybridrange.htm I'ts a whopping £745 +vat. If you go to turbo technics themselves it's £650! http://www.turbotechnics.com/turbo/hybridrange.htm

I have had plenty of PM's telling me to get rid of the B.A.S map too for various reasons I personally have not yet used this set-up as i still haven't fitted the engine yet. But i am taking advise from those who've been there done that and it's being sent away to be re-mapped by someone else.

Steve