This bolt- can I just undo it?

As you can see, I have had to saw through one of my propshaft bolts as it was just turning. However I now discover on removal of the handbrake drum, that I need to take off the drive flange to be able to swap that bolt.

Is it just a case of unscrewing the big bolt? I really can't get it off with my measly weight!

Any help greatly appreciated!

broken-bolt.jpg

Broken bolt circled in red, just so you can see why I need to get it off!

Put it in gear with the difflocked and wheels chocked, then get a bar on the ratchet - length of bar depends on how much room you have under there. You will get some oil loss once the flange is removed so it might be less messy to drain the box first. There is a felt washer in there that might be worth replacing whilst it is off. There is also a seal, but if it were me and the seal was ok, i wouldn't worry about that.

Put it in gear with the difflocked and wheels chocked, then get a bar on the ratchet - length of bar depends on how much room you have under there.

Or just put the drum back on and apply the handbrake. You can still get to the flange bolt through the centre of the drum and you wont be rocking the vehicle while you swing on the breaker bar.

Ray.

That's not a bad idea Ray. I have lost the small screw that holds it on though, so it would be holding the flange on the four loose propshaft bolts- which is probably okay?

That'll be fine. If you are worried, do up two of the prop bolts to secure the drum. Once you've engaged the handbrake it wont move much anyway.